Loss of HIP to stop concealed units?

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does HIP need to be lost to strip enemy units of concealment when the enemy units perform a concealment loss action, if the only friendly unit in LOS of the enemy unit, is a HIP unit?

The only pertinent rules I can find are:
A12.14 requires a friendly unit to "momentarily" lose concealment (to prove it is not a Dummy) when the concealed friendly unit is the only unit in LOS of a concealed enemy unit performing a concealment loss action.

A12.32 states, "A hidden unit may sacrifice its hidden status and become concealed to prevent an opposing unit in LOS from gaining concealment or to affect an enemy unit during that unit's RtPh..."

There are several scenarios where one side sets up entirely HIP; it seems to me that to lose HIP in order to cause the enemy to lose their concealment (which their entire order of battle should probably be if entering from off map) would defeat the entire purpose of HIP. However the two above rules have me leaning towards the very view point that seems silly to me. I'd appreciate any insight someone has on this.

Confused in Reno

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Kevin W said:
Does HIP need to be lost to strip enemy units of concealment when the enemy units perform a concealment loss action, if the only friendly unit in LOS of the enemy unit, is a HIP unit?
Yep. You're gonna have to put those HIPsters on the board. Depending on your opponent, that might be enough, but some will want to see a genuine unit (and thereby know what they're facing).

The first question you should be asking is: Do I need to know what's there? If not, don't bother stripping concealment until you decide to shoot them. If you do, consider putting a HIP HS out as an OP and using it to strip as much concealment as you can before running the hell away. If I've got OBA, in a scenario like The Hedgehog of Piepsk, I'd definitely consider this.

You could also use it as a tactic, by unhiding a unit, deciding not to fire, and then hoping your enemy manoeuvres his units to keep out of that unit's LOS, but moves them into some juicy boresighted Location instead. Not one I'd probably use too often, but something to consider.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Chris, 23 years of SL/ASL and I'm still learning.

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Kevin W said:
Thanks Chris, 23 years of SL/ASL and I'm still learning.
Ain't that part of the fun? Knowing that you'll never master all those rules, but feeling a surge of satisfaction when you remember some obscure rule that you haven't read for years :wink: