LOS with hills

NetWalker

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Heya all,

I am still having trouble with LOS and hills. I understand the continuous LOS down hills which cross 1 levelchange per hex but I am not getting the LOS rules when the cross multiple hexes of the same height

ie. 9H5 being able to see 9I10 for example.

To me, given trhat this LOS crosses 3 lvl 2hexes as well as i lvl 1 hex, I do not see how you can see 9I10, 9H10 or 9H9 for that matter.

Is there some simply way of determining LOS when it comes to hills and the number of lower level hexes.

Paul...

Commissar Piotr

War Pig
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hi Guys

Hills do not make blind hexes until the Crest line is at least 5 hexes away.

NetWalker

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Also according to VASL 2J4 ca not see 2J2. I take that to be an error in programming! VASL aslo says no to I2 where as the Chapter K say you can on page K8.

I am pretty confused with it all atm.

Paul...

Commissar Piotr

War Pig
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hi Guys

Trust the rules and your own ability at understanding, there is plenty of errors with the LOS engine in VASL. Do NOT use it to understand the rules.
It is all in the tome.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
There are actually very few, if any errors with the LOS engine. There are plenty of errors with the map data. Garbage in, garbage out.

Also according to VASL 2J4 ca not see 2J2. I take that to be an error in programming!
If you turn on verbose LOS messaging, you will see the rules reference that the engine is using to determine why the LOS is blocked.

In the case of 2J4->2J2 it referes to B10.23. In this particular case, I believe the EXC comes into play "If the elevation level difference caused by that Crest Line and the next hex along the LOS is >= two, at least one Blind Hex is created (unless adjacent) even if within five hexes of the higher level firing hex."