LOS Thread with Height Levels

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
When string my LOS thread, how do I add in the Level for the target?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
When string my LOS thread, how do I add in the Level for the target?
After you draw the line, up- & down- arrow for the second end, ctrl-up- & ctrl-down- arrow for the first end. Which you need depends on whether you drew the line starting at the target or the viewer.

JR

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
After you draw the line, up- & down- arrow for the second end, ctrl-up- & ctrl-down- arrow for the first end. Which you need depends on whether you drew the line starting at the target or the viewer.

JR

Thanks, JR!! I knew there was a way, just couldn't remember it.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

JR
Can this do 1/2 levels (like Hillocks or Rooftops)?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
If there aren't different levels in a hex, as in the case of hills or hillocks, there's no point in going up and down levels. On hills you are assumed to be at the base level of the hex, although you can change the level if there is also a multi-level building on a hill. Most hillocks are overlays, and LOS calculations are n/a when an overlay is involved, so I'm assuming vasl does not handle overlay hillocks. Printed hillocks (BFP-DW2a) also seem to confuse it. I thought there was a way to enable rooftops on vasl but I can't find it, so I don't know how it behaves.

I tried gullies, but it seems to only recognize level -1. It also doesn't seem to be familiar with slopes.

JR

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It will do rooftops and cellars automatically on any multihex, multilevel building. By “do” I mean that it will calculate los correctly using the right levels and you can move the los string to the rooftop and cellar levels.

It should handle factories correctly (no intermediate levels except for staircase hexes) but I have been alerted to a couple of board specific bugs.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Ah, that was my problem. I picked a single-hex, multi-level building to try rooftops.

JR

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think I have it right. Only multihex buildings have rooftops (unless by SSR), correct?

I know it creates more cellars than perhaps it should but I figured they are easy to ignore.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I think I have it right. Only multihex buildings have rooftops (unless by SSR), correct?
In the standard rules rooftops don't exist on Single Story Houses. Multi-level, single-hex buildings should have rooftops.

JR

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
In the standard rules rooftops don't exist on Single Story Houses. Multi-level, single-hex buildings should have rooftops.

JR
JR

My rulebook states: "B31.3 SINGLE-HEX TWO-STORY HOUSE: A building with a large white center dot (EX: 25E8) is a 1½-level LOS obstacle with both a ground- and first-level Location and an inherent stairwell. Like a Single Story House (23.21), it has no Rooftop Location. In all other respects it is a normal building. "

Are we talking about the same type of building or am I missing something? I coded rooftops in VASL according to 31.3 so at present they do not contain rooftops (or cellars but that is another matter).

Thanks.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
JR

My rulebook states: "B31.3 SINGLE-HEX TWO-STORY HOUSE: A building with a large white center dot (EX: 25E8) is a 1½-level LOS obstacle with both a ground- and first-level Location and an inherent stairwell. Like a Single Story House (23.21), it has no Rooftop Location. In all other respects it is a normal building. "

Are we talking about the same type of building or am I missing something? I coded rooftops in VASL according to 31.3 so at present they do not contain rooftops (or cellars but that is another matter).

Thanks.
Because B23.8 does not have a cross-reference to B31.3, so I missed that (and have added the x-ref to my aslrb). But other multi-level, single-hex buildings (e.g. 12S5) have rooftops per B23.8. vasl does not seem to have the ability to trace LOS from/to those rooftops.

JR

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Because B23.8 does not have a cross-reference to B31.3, so I missed that (and have added the x-ref to my aslrb). But other multi-level, single-hex buildings (e.g. 12S5) have rooftops per B23.8. vasl does not seem to have the ability to trace LOS from/to those rooftops.

JR
Ok, so the logic is that B23.8 says that rooftops can exist on all building hexes except Single Story Houses. B31.3 then creates a new building type, Single Hex Two Story Houses, and explicitly states that they do not have rooftops.

Some maps contain hexes such as 12S5, which would appear, using normal ASL symbology to be Single Hex Two Story Houses (containing a ground, 1st and 2nd levels). These could have rooftops because neither B23.8 nor B31.3 explicitly states that they can't.

I can understand that. But, . . . . is there a rule that defines a hex such as 12S5 as a Single Hex Three Story House. In the absence of such a rule (or a q&a), it could equally be that the B31.3 logic should be extended to cover Single Hex Three Story Houses.

Which is the basis on which I coded rooftops in VASL.

I am happy to change that if in fact there is agreement that Single Hex Multi-Story buildings can have rooftops with the exception of Two Story Houses where it is expressly forbidden.

Doug

ozradio

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

JR
Macs too?

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Because B23.8 does not have a cross-reference to B31.3, so I missed that (and have added the x-ref to my aslrb).

JR
Yeah, I did the exact same thing as you in a game of Festung Budapest. B23.8 really needs that cross-reference.