LOS question

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Having a senior moment here...
Unit on Level 1, behind ANOTHER separate building of height 1.5 can never be blind to a level 2 unit on the other side of the building right? No matter distances etc.

So normally let's say the 1.5 level obstacle had 3 blind hexes to a level 2 firer (12 hexes away let's say).
If a unit behind that 1.5 level obstacle (in that normally 3 blind hex area) was on level 1 (building, hill, etc.) it is not actually blind right?

David Goldman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You are correct. One way to look at it (all puns intended) is subtract one level from each of the three locations and in effect you have a unit at level zero, an obstacle of 1/2 level height and the second unit at level one. No problem. Visualize the 1/2 level obstacle as a wall which is a common LOS and you should see that the two units have LOS to each other.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Yes.
Only full levels count for blind hex calculation.
See A6.4: "(i.e., ignoring any half-level)"

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Btw, next time you have a rules question, it is better to ask it in the Rules and errata folder. That way, other players with the same question will find the thread more easily.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Unit on Level 1, behind ANOTHER separate building of height 1.5 can never be blind to a level 2 unit on the other side of the building right? No matter distances etc.

So normally let's say the 1.5 level obstacle had 3 blind hexes to a level 2 firer (12 hexes away let's say).
If a unit behind that 1.5 level obstacle (in that normally 3 blind hex area) was on level 1 (building, hill, etc.) it is not actually blind right?
(2 * height of obstacle) + (Range / 5 [FRD]) - (height of firer) - (height of target) >/= 0 (LOS is clear)

EX: (2*1.5=3) + (12/5=2) -(2) - (1) = 2 (LOS blocked for 2 hexes).

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
(2 * height of obstacle) + (Range / 5 [FRD]) - (height of firer) - (height of target) >/= 0 (LOS is clear)

EX: (2*1.5=3) + (12/5=2) -(2) - (1) = 2 (LOS blocked for 2 hexes).
Does that mean if the level 1 target is two hexes behind the 1.5 level obstacle he cannot be seen by the level two firer who is 12 hexes away? That is how I read it.....

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Yes, Steve the mortar can see them.................

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I just re-read the rules. The target must be at a LOWER elevation than the obstacle in order for that equation to be true. In this case the target is at an equal elevation to the full level height of the obstacle - because half levels are ignored. So there are no blind hexes as far as the unit on level one is concerned.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No smart ass. I know about that one... you better hit me because even at 20 range you're on a rooftop vs. a 9-2 with no rain anymore. I'll take 4(-1) with ROF 2, I like those odds.
I was looking at some others and for the next day since we are almost done with this one.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does that mean if the level 1 target is two hexes behind the 1.5 level obstacle he cannot be seen by the level two firer who is 12 hexes away? That is how I read it.....
I made a mistake in the equation as I used the one for crest lines and didn't ignore the 1/2 level of the obstacle.(sorry about the confusion). However, the result is the number of blind hexes is only for targets at a lower elevation than the obstacle, so in the instance of an obstacle at level 1 (ignoring any 1/2 levels) and the target at at level 1 there is a clear LOS with a firer at any higher elevation. To determine if the number of blind hexes at a lower elevation target the correct equation should be (2*Height of obstacle [ignoring 1/2 level]) + (Range to target / 5 [FRD]) - (Height of firer) - (height of target) +1. Note: This is from Tom Repetti's LOS Aid Sheet which is available in VASL and in PDF.

My bad for really screwing up the discussion.:rolleyes:

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just to close this thread, the LOS is open as we discussed here. His MTR turns, keeps rate, proceeds to rate 4? times, breaking the 9-2 and one mmg HS, pinning another, generating a hero and generally rendering the stack impotent! Been like this the entire game...