1)H6 at level 2 (the tan LOS line)?
2)F7 at level 1 (the red LOS line)?
3)D6 at level 0 (the pink LOS line)?

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
THis is not my forte, but my answer is that for H6 there is no LOS (the observing hex is not high enough to reduce the blind hex to zero), but for the other two there is a LOS.

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Mark is correct. There is no LOS to H6, but LOS to the other two. The calculation goes as this:

I6 (the obstacle in front of H6) creates one blind hex since the distance from O5 is 5-9 hexes (B10.23). O5 is exactly one level higher than I6, and will therefore not reduce the number of blind hexes - thus no LOS.

G7 (the obstacle in front of F7) also creates one blind hex, but according to A6.42: take the height differences between O6 and G7 (4-2 = 2), subtract by one (2-1 = 1), and reduce the number of blind hexes by the last number (1-1 = 0), thus no blind hexes.

Similarily for D6, where the obstacle is E6. The number of blind hexes is 2 (distance 10), but height difference of O6 and E6 is 3. 3 - 1 = 2, so reduce the number of blind hexes by 2 - again zero blind hexes.

rick63hughes

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Just to note, rule A6.42 does say that the minimum is 1 blind hex, regardless of decreases.

Therefore all those hexes in the diagram are blind.

Rick

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, they are not. You forgot the exception for blind hexes caused by crest lines. They can be reduced to a minimum of 0.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ju
st to note, rule A6.42 does say that the minimum is 1 blind hex, regardless of decreases.

Therefore all those hexes in the diagram are blind.
Ah, but the rules also say (NRBH) that you can reduce the blind hexes to zero if the obstacle is a hill crest - especially if its part of the "same hill mass", IIRC.

What I've never seen definined is what is part of the "same hill mass".

Sam "No Rule Book here, and completely confused anyway" Belcher

rick63hughes

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
I've never noticed that rule before. :oops:

Now I understand what you mean and how you have achieved the answer.

Great stuff.

Rick

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
In effect, crest lines produces one less blind hex than other obstacles do. Its really that simple (in most situations) :wink: