Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Please see the attached image. A friendly unit is at level 2 in hex J3. An enemy unit is bypassing hex O3 at ground level (obviously) on the coordinate side. O3 is not a blind hex. N2 and N3 are blind hexes. Bypass LOS allows the friendly unit to trace LOS to the vertex of a hex being bypassed by an enemy unit. The vertex here is N2-N3-O3, which is part of blind hexes and a not blind hex.

Can the friendly unit trace an LOS to that vertex to fire at the enemy unit in bypass of O3?

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
To a bypasser in O3, LOS to the N2-N3-O3 vertex is clear unless M3 is also a Level 2 building (which it evidently is not), as is LOS to the hex center. Units in bypass are still considered to be in the hex of the obstacle being bypassed.

However, if the enemy unit is bypassing using just the O2-O3 hexside, you cannot trace your thread to the hex center. You may only use the center for bypass LOS if the thread to the center will cross the hexside being bypassed.

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not sure I understand fully Binchois' response (perhaps because I don't understand the questions being asked or answered). Here are the questions, I think:

1. If there is a unit in O3 that attempts to enter N4 using rowhouse bypass on the coordinate side can it be shot at by the specified firer?

Proposed A. Yes, rowhouse bypass LOS is drawn (only) to the vertex crossed between the two rowhouse hexes. B23.71. Here that vertex is O3-N3-N4 and if M2 is only a one level obstacle, then that vertex is in LOS of the firer.

2. What if the unit is in P2, and wants to bypass O3 entirely on the coordinate side on its way to N4?

Proposed A. Now the firer gets a choice of any of the three vertices crossed on the way to N4 and the center point of the hex being bypassed (as long as a hexside traveled is crossed by the LOS). A4.34. Three of those are in LOS of the firer (the middle vertex is the odd man out).

3. What if the unit is in P2 and wants to bypass on only the O2-O3 hexside, perhaps on its way to entering N2?

Proposed A. If bypassing O3 (for one hexside only this time), the center point LOS is not available because the LOS will not cross a bypassed hexside on its way to that center point. But the LOS to the first vertex crossed on exiting P2 is still clear.

I think the range to a vertex is the range to the furthest hex forming part of the vertex. Not sure, however. If it matters, I suggest running around the other side of the building if that works. ;)

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Please see the attached image. A friendly unit is at level 2 in hex J3. An enemy unit is bypassing hex O3 at ground level (obviously) on the coordinate side. O3 is not a blind hex. N2 and N3 are blind hexes. Bypass LOS allows the friendly unit to trace LOS to the vertex of a hex being bypassed by an enemy unit. The vertex here is N2-N3-O3, which is part of blind hexes and a not blind hex.

Can the friendly unit trace an LOS to that vertex to fire at the enemy unit in bypass of O3?
I believe you're asking if the level 2 unit could hit a moving unit that was moving from O3 to N3 on the "top-side" of the row-house. B23.71 says the bypass MF is spent in the hex the unit is leaving. In this case, that clarifies your problem nicely. The LOS is clear.

If that's not the case, then you just have to remember that while the VERTEX and HEXSIDE may be part of multiple locations, the unit in question isn't. It is in one and only one location. If you can trace an LOS to that hexside/vertex in THAT Location, the fact that you can't trace an LOS to that hexside/vertex in another Location is irrelevant. -- jim

Last edited: