LOS from an entrenchment to lower level adjacent unit through a wall

Discussion in 'ASL Rules & Errata' started by MajorDomo, Dec 7, 2017.

1. MajorDomo

MajorDomo DM? Chuck H2O in his face

Sep 1, 2003
    Fluid
    B9.21 ENTRENCHMENTS: A unit in an entrenchment cannot see (or be seen) across a same-level wall/hedge hexside/hexspine to (or from) any non-adjacent same-level or lower Location—although an elevation advantage of at least a half-level over the Entrenchment does allow such LOS. LOS is reciprocal. If a viewer would have LOS to any non-entrenched units in such a Location, it also has LOS to any entrenchments in that Location even though it may not have LOS to units beneath that entrenchment.

Does the phrase in red mean:

A. An entrenched unit on a hill with a wall on the upper level entrenched unit's hex cannot see an adjacent enemy unit on a lower level next to the upper level wall.

B. An entrenched unit on a hill with a wall on the upper level entrenched unit's hex can always see an adjacent enemy unit, even one on a lower level next to the upper level wall.

My take is that neither unit can have Wall advantage, and that A is correct, but far from sure.

Thanks,
    Rich

2. Swiftandsure

Swiftandsure Robin Reeve Silver Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2003
    St-Légier
    B IMO.
    The red text is about non-adjacent units, which are at same or lower level.

3. Jeff Sewall

Jeff Sewall Active Member

Oct 9, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    B. You're correct that neither unit has Wall Advantage, but adjacent units, neither with WA, still have LOS to each other. For example, units in adjacent buildings with a wall between them.

4. von Marwitz

von Marwitz Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Kraut Corner
    I'd also think B.

Maybe it helps to picture it if you do not only think in terms of 'seeing' them but 'perceiving' them. I.e. the smell of cigarette smoke or muffled conversation. Might be enough to throw some hand-grenades on target (i.e. make a PB fire attack) even if you do not have visual contact.

von Marwitz