LOS buttons grayed out?

clavain

Waiting for Godot
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Not sure what you mean by "get out of checking LOS"...and the Undo button was not used "during LOS checks"...but what I meant was:

1. Play proceeding normally...a unit is moved
  2. An LOS check is made
  3. Play continues and another unit is moved
  4. Something happens and we want to undo the last two moves (steps 3 and 1)
  5. Click Undo and step 3 move is undone
  6. Click Undo to undo step 1 move...however this Undo click actually undoes the LOS check from step 2 and buttons go gray
  7. Click Undo again and then the step 1 move is undone
Thanks = not sure if that exact case came up or not - it might have. What I meant was what I said, when I checked LOS I never used the back button:
  1. Check LOS by clicking on L or I button
  2. Draw LOS, rant at opponent, etc.
  3. Click on map to exit LOS screen and return to play (instead of clicking on back button or something else, no idea what that would do)

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks = not sure if that exact case came up or not - it might have. What I meant was what I said, when I checked LOS I never used the back button:
  1. Check LOS by clicking on L or I button
  2. Draw LOS, rant at opponent, etc.
  3. Click on map to exit LOS screen and return to play (instead of clicking on back button or something else, no idea what that would do)
#2 - the most important step... :D

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I saw it with VASSAL 3.5.8, 3.6.2, and my opponent was running 3.6.3 when we last tested it.

If I were to continue debugging, I would fire up the same scenario with the same opponent and have me take the first LOS check to see if his LOS buttons gray out?
Yes. I see your other posts noting that it is not happening consistently. As you say, Wtf. Damned if I know. But at least there seem to be workarounds and los freeze seems to have stopped.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I did some testing on this today using a .vsav file from Jazz.

With both players using 3.5.8, no issues. LOS buttons grey out when opponent clicks their los button. LOS buttons return to active when opponent clears the los check

With both players using 3.6.3, LOS buttons grey out when opponent clicks their los button. LOS buttons return to active when opponent clear the lost check. Mostly. On several occassions it did not. If the opponent then conducted and cleared another los check, the buttons returned to active.

I think a command to the remote computer is not always being sent. I will have to do some detailed testing to determine if this is the case. In the meantime, if this happens to you, another los check should get the other players los buttons to reactivate.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I think a command to the remote computer is not always being sent. I will have to do some detailed testing to determine if this is the case. In the meantime, if this happens to you, another los check should get the other players los buttons to reactivate.
When it happened to us, once my buttons went gray they stayed gray for the whole rest of the session and with my opponent checking LOS a number of times without my buttons being reactivated....FWIW.

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
We're still having the same grey out issue with VASL 6.6.3.1 and VASSAL 3.6.3 over at least 4 sessions.

However we have found that when the player who triggered the los check actually finishes his los check (by clicking on the map rather than just re hitting F10 ) it un greys consistently.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
We're still having the same grey out issue with VASL 6.6.3.1 and VASSAL 3.6.3 over at least 4 sessions.

However we have found that when the player who triggered the los check actually finishes his los check (by clicking on the map rather than just re hitting F10 ) it un greys consistently.
This not a bug. It is designed to work that way. When you do a los check your opponents los buttons are disabled until the los check is completed.

The reason for this change is to prevent the los from freezing , which was a significant issue. It has worked as I no longer get reports of los freeze.

The problem that Jazz was reporting is that the los buttons would not un-grey even when an opponent completes the los check. This is a bug and I will work to fix it. In my testing so far I have noticed that if the player who did the los check starts and clears an entirely new los check, then their opponent’s los buttons will un-grey.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania

As Doug points out, this is a feature....and a good one.