LOS buttons grayed out?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
So, playing a game on the server.

The two options for LOS thread are both grayed out in my window. My opponent has access to his LOS thread tools.

When I first fire up a saved scenario both of my LOS threads are there and available.

When my opponent synches I still have access to them.

As soon as my opponent checks an LOS, mine go gray and stay gray, even though he has finished checking the LOS. Almost like a flag got set and won't clear?

We were using VASSAL 3.6.2/VASL 6.6.3.1

My opponents just got flagged to upgrade to 3.6.3 (I am still on 3.6.2) and the same situation happens but now there is a new error notification that says

"VASL LOS disabled - unexpected error: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "VASL.LOS.Map.Hex.getColumnNumber()" because "lowerRightHex" is null. VASSAL los active"

Any guidance/debugging direction?

Jazz

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Yeah, parsing the error report leads one to think the board file is missing something....but then why only me and not my opponent?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
So when I fire up the same scenario off-line my LOS threads are there and functional and they seem to stay functional.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have not heard of this problem of the greyed-out los buttons not resetting after a los check is finished. Are you sure that your opponent is ending his los check? Plus, check which version your opponent is using.

The greying out of the los buttons seems to have successfully stopped the los freeze issues that were happening. But if they are not reset once the los check is finished then that is a problem.

I can try to replicate it. Sending me a .vsav file might help.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
What is the procedure for formally ending a LOS check? This condition has persisted through a live session of an hour or more. I went to pains to assure that both of us were not checking LOS simultaneously. During that time he took multiple LOS checks in the normal course of play using his threads. In the last instance we were both running VASSAL 3.6.2/VASL 6.6.3.1. We subsequently confirmed said behavior with my opponent running VASSAL 3.6.3 (I was still running 3.6.2).

It certainly does look suspiciously like the gray out while one or the other person is checking.

There were also a number of strange isolated incidents involving individual counters that were visible and/or concealed to one person and totally invisible to the other. This mainly involved French counters and a possible mixture of regular and Vichy units? Hard to reproduce.

I'll try to get a vasv file to you in the next day or so.

Jazz

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Ok. The way to end a los check is to click on the map window. Given your description I think your opponent was doing that.

I can’t think of anything that would be causing this. I will check the .vsav file when you send it to me.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Can you PM me with your email?

I think I had it and just sent something to you. Lemme know ifn' it don't show up.

I should add this condition has been present consistently over 2-3 sessions of an hour or longer.

Thanks
Jazz

Last edited:

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
This happens to me occasionally, too. Sometimes my opponent, sometimes me, sometimes both of us. Nothing but a Quit seems to restore the function.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
This happens to me occasionally, too. Sometimes my opponent, sometimes me, sometimes both of us. Nothing but a Quit seems to restore the function.
For us it happened consistently over 3-4 separate sessions, and consistently affecting my end. I don't remember it happening with other opponents, but it might have been there and I didn't notice it? I did not notice it here until we were well into the session.

FWIW, I would sometimes be able to see the LOS string when my opponent used the LOS thread, but only briefly.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I added the "grey-out" to vasl6.6.2 which was released in April 2021. I am only starting to hear about this problem now. I am wondering if it might have something to do with vassal versions. I have been using vasl6.6.3 with vassal3.5.8 and not noticing the problem. I will do some testing.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I added the "grey-out" to vasl6.6.2 which was released in April 2021. I am only starting to hear about this problem now. I am wondering if it might have something to do with vassal versions. I have been using vasl6.6.3 with vassal3.5.8 and not noticing the problem. I will do some testing.
I saw it with VASSAL 3.5.8, 3.6.2, and my opponent was running 3.6.3 when we last tested it.

If I were to continue debugging, I would fire up the same scenario with the same opponent and have me take the first LOS check to see if his LOS buttons gray out?

Last edited:

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've noticed the grayed out LOS buttons sometimes. I "think" it might have something to do with the Go Back button.

If I recall correctly when you use the Go Back button and after it does (for example) *UNDO: Jim White Checked LOS from... I think the button goes gray at that point.

I'll check when I get back home.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I've noticed the grayed out LOS buttons sometimes. I "think" it might have something to do with the Go Back button.

If I recall correctly when you use the Go Back button and after it does (for example) *UNDO: Jim White Checked LOS from... I think the button goes gray at that point.

I'll check when I get back home.
Our instances did not involve the back button....at least not on my end. (Martin ?) Quite possibly using the Go back button can set a same flag that is not clearing?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
OK, this is getting weird......we just fired up a vsav file the same scenario on the server. Both running VASSAL 3.6.3/VASL 6.6.3.1.

All LOS functions and buttons are working as expected. Graying out when the other guy is checking, coming back when he is done. We did it in both directions.

Now that I think about it, the problems always occurred when Martin was the first to check a LOS? We did not test the specifically. Seems improbable?

We did it again with me running 3.6.2 (same combination that was screwing up previously). Everything is working well as expected.

As others have noted, it happens but not consistently?

WT ever-loving F?

clavain

Waiting for Godot
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Our instances did not involve the back button....at least not on my end. (Martin ?) Quite possibly using the Go back button can set a same flag that is not clearing?
Nope, never used the back button to get out of checking LOS, just clicked on the map (I did use it a few other times for different things during the course of the scenario, but never during LOS checks).

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Perhaps do the LOS buttons simply reflect the middle age of ASL players?
Next step, they will turn white or fall off altogether?

Last edited:

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nope, never used the back button to get out of checking LOS, just clicked on the map (I did use it a few other times for different things during the course of the scenario, but never during LOS checks).
Not sure what you mean by "get out of checking LOS"...and the Undo button was not used "during LOS checks"...but what I meant was:

1. Play proceeding normally...a unit is moved
  2. An LOS check is made
  3. Play continues and another unit is moved
  4. Something happens and we want to undo the last two moves (steps 3 and 1)
  5. Click Undo and step 3 move is undone
  6. Click Undo to undo step 1 move...however this Undo click actually undoes the LOS check from step 2 and buttons go gray
  7. Click Undo again and then the step 1 move is undone