LOS and terrain questions for the Hell's Corner VASL map

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi,

Having bought this pack I am about to play HC1 First Matanikau. Some questions about the VASL map please:
  • Hex OO22 is kunai? It's not a hill or sand is it?
  • Hexes TT19, TT20, UU19, UU20, SS20 are at level -1. All beach hexes are at -1 with a slight slope which means LOS per G13.21 and the example at the end of that section of the rules.
  • OO20 cannot see UU20. It goes along PP19 and that is at level 1 and UU20 is at level -1.
  • But PP19 can see UU20? The LOS goes through QQ20, RR19. Both of the centre dots on those hexes are in the river so they are river hexes? Or have I got something wrong? There is no crest line there is there?
Many thanks to anyone who can help - please point out which bit of the rulebook is relevant.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
  • Hex OO22 is Kunai as are NN22 & MM23.
  • I believe a unit in hex OO22 can see UU20 barring a LOS blockage by the jungle in RR21 (have not strung the LOS but looks clear) per G13.21, "Therefore, all LOS along/across, as well as all types of movement across, ≥ one such Beach-Hinterland hexside treats all Beach (and OCEAN; 13.4) hexes as being at Level 0 — as do all activities possibly affected/prohibited by relative elevations (e.g., A9.22, C2.6, C7.22, C13.61, D9.4, etc.)."
  • A unit hex PP19 should also be able to see a unit in hex UU20 for the same reason.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Many thanks for taking the time to answer.

Those hexes next to the river are not beach hexes though? Should the rule be B21.2?

The problem with B21.2 is that I'm not sure I understand that either :rolleyes:

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Many thanks for taking the time to answer.

Those hexes next to the river are not beach hexes though? Should the rule be B21.2?

The problem with B21.2 is that I'm not sure I understand that either :rolleyes:
Not sure I'm following your arguments, but here goes. Assuming that you're referring to TT20 and UU20, these are sand hexes and therefore Beach hexes. TT19 and UU19 are (in addition to being part of the Matanikau River) Effluent hexes (G13.14). Beach Slope is defined as Slight, which precludes the formation of Crest Lines along Beach-Hinterland hexsides. As Tom noted, G13.21 explains this.

But as I said, I'm probably not following your follow-up questions. :)

G13.21 SLIGHT:
A Slightly Sloped Beach hex is Level -1 terrain. However, its Beach-Hinterland hexsides do not form a Crest Line. Therefore, all LOS along/across, as well as all types of movement across, ≥ one such Beach-Hinterland hexside treats all Beach (and OCEAN; 13.4) hexes as being at Level 0—as do all activities possibly affected/prohibited by relative elevations (e.g., A9.22,C2.6, C7.22, C13.61, D9.4, etc.).

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hey Chris - hope all is good where you are and that you and Helen are well.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yes - the beach bit I get. Everything at -1. The problem is at the other end of the LOS.

OO20 to TT20. It cuts through PP19. OO20 is at level 1, TT20 at -1. Is there a crest line along the river which means that I cannot see TT20?

I am not surprised that you do not follow my reasoning - this scenario is proving to be more complicated than just throwing the counters down :rolleyes:

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey Chris - hope all is good where you are and that you and Helen are well.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yes - the beach bit I get. Everything at -1. The problem is at the other end of the LOS.

OO20 to TT20. It cuts through PP19. OO20 is at level 1, TT20 at -1. Is there a crest line along the river which means that I cannot see TT20?

I am not surprised that you do not follow my reasoning - this scenario is proving to be more complicated than just throwing the counters down :rolleyes:
Only "everything" isn't at level -1. The Beach hexes are effectively at the same level as OO20 and PP19 (G.13.21), at least that's my elementary reading. See the first part of the illustrated EX in G13.2 dealing with a Slightly Sloped beach.

Last edited: