LOS and hindrance around EmRR

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
A railroad track, EmRR, crosses a grain field (in season).
A has LOS to D. But is the grain hindrance? I think it is, but I'm not sure.
Does B have LOS to E, to F?
Does C have LOS to E, to F?

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
A railroad track, EmRR, crosses a grain field (in season).
View attachment 17324
A has LOS to D. But is the grain hindrance? I think it is, but I'm not sure.
Does B have LOS to E, to F?
Does C have LOS to E, to F?
The tricky one you don't have here:
Imagine a unit in H15 and another in J19. As both of those units are Adjacent to the "Wadi", they would have LOS to one another. -- jim

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
A has a LOS to D and F but hindrances only apply to same-level units. As Unit A is a half level above the grain there is no hindrance (note the Hillock rules work well with EmRRs).
I'm confused by F6.52:
F6.52 said:
A "half-level" Hindrance (as defined in 4.51), whether on a hillock or not, can affect LOS/LOF to/from/across a hillock hex only if both the firer's and target's elevations are within a half-level of, and the elevation of at least one of those units is ≤ that of, the Hindrance's Base Level.
A and D are within a half-level of the Hindrance's Base Level. And the elevation of D is ≤ that of the Hindrance's Base Level. Grain is also included in the definition in 4.51. So I thought the LOS is affected by grain hindrance. What am I missing?

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
I see what you are saying. The Squad H to N example on page F8 looks like the hindrances in any of the four intervening hexes would apply to both units as they shoot from/to the hillock location.

As Chapter F introduces higher numbered rules concerning units being ON a 1/2 level obstacle the hindrance look like they apply and supersede the usual "same-level" requirements for hindrances. The same would apply when shooting from level 0 into a Deir.

Good catch. My bad for not reading forward to Chapter F.

Let's see what Klas and Jim think.

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I see what you are saying. The Squad H to N example on page F8 looks like the hindrances in any of the four intervening hexes would apply to both units as they shoot from/to the hillock location.

As Chapter F introduces higher numbered rules concerning units being ON a 1/2 level obstacle the hindrance look like they apply and supersede the usual "same-level" requirements for hindrances. The same would apply when shooting from level 0 into a Deir.

Good catch. My bad for not reading forward to Chapter F.

Let's see what Klas and Jim think.
ASLRB said:
F6.52 AFV/WRECK TEM & HINDRANCES: An AFV/wreck on a hillock can provide a +1 TEM in the normal manner. A “half-level” Hindrance (as defined in 4.51), whether on a hillock or not, can affect LOS/LOF to/from/across a hillock hex only if both the firer’s and target’s elevations are within a half-level of, and the elevation of at least one of those units is ≤ that of, the Hindrance’s Base Level [EXC: a “half-level” Hindrance in a deir; 4.51]. See the entries for “Squads E and F”, “Squad H”, “Squad K” and “Squads DD and EE” in the 6.6 EX.
In particular, not the examples between Squad E and Squad O (Squad E’s LOS to squad O would be affected by any Hindrance in hex oT7, but not by a “half-level” Hindrance (4.51) in T5/T6) and Squad H and Squad N (Squad H’s LOS to squad N would be affected by any Hindrance in hex(es) S6/S7/T6/oT7"). In the first example, both units are at level .5 (half-level) and unaffected by any hinderance at Level 0 but are affected by any Hindrance at level .5. In the second example, one unit is at level 0, the other is at level .5. In this instance any Hinderance between the two is in play.

In my experience, the example in F6.6 has always had an example that covers the question and the key to Hillocks is to look at the example, find the similar situation, and then see what the example says. That's what I did here in this case. Here, A and D are equivalent to N and H respectively. Then looking at the entry below for Squad H and applying the rule. -- jim

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
If B and E were AFVs would they be Hull down to each other?
ASLRB said:
F6.5 TEM: Non-PRC unit(s) may claim a +1 TEM (or HD status) vs Direct Fire that is traced across/along a hexside of a hillock as it enters their hex, provided that hillock hex’s topmost height along that LOF is a half-level higher than the elevation of the target and the LOF did not go over (B.4) that hillock hex. A hillock (hex) provides no TEM or HD status vs Indirect Fire. Being on a hillock does not by itself negate FFMO or Interdiction. See the entries in the 6.6 EX that have asterisked squad IDs.
Yes, they are either Hull Down to one another or the player could opt for a +1 TEM for any Non-PRC personnel units. Sometimes it helps to think of a Hillock as a fat Wall. -- jim