Lords of the Steppe

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anybody seen this one? It seems to be a terrain builder kit. Blank steppe boards and overlays. Much like Desert War 1941.

Only four scenarios...most likely reprints. Steep price. Anybody interested?

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I got it, it looks interesting and if your on Ray's mailing list you get a decent discount, so for a grand total of 45 bucks you get a ton of very nice overlays, four scenarios with only one being tiny, the others are meaty. here is a pic of what you get.

steeppe.jpg

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
definitely re-treads

Along the Moscow Highway was originally ASL News 31_ State Farm 41

There are a lot of overlays though

Anybody seen this one? It seems to be a terrain builder kit. Blank steppe boards and overlays. Much like Desert War 1941.

Only four scenarios...most likely reprints. Steep price. Anybody interested?

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Interesting concept. You could probably do a scenario design contest around this item.

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I got it, it looks interesting and if your on Ray's mailing list you get a decent discount, so for a grand total of 45 bucks you get a ton of very nice overlays, four scenarios with only one being tiny, the others are meaty. here is a pic of what you get.

View attachment 504
Thanks Scott! Are the hexes the same size and compatible with AH/MMP overlays?

Would make it more useful for designs, if yes.

Danno

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes the overlays can be used on geo boards. My idea is too copy the overlays and use them in designs for a newsletter I plan doing, so in the newsletter, it would include copies the needed overlays to play a scenario designed using it.

Scott

Thanks Scott! Are the hexes the same size and compatible with AH/MMP overlays?

Would make it more useful for designs, if yes.

Danno

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Yes the overlays can be used on geo boards. My idea is too copy the overlays and use them in designs for a newsletter I plan doing, so in the newsletter, it would include copies the needed overlays to play a scenario designed using it.

Scott
Sounds like the old OAF - sign me up!

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
easier said then done lol. Gotta get off my lazy ass and write up the articles, scenarios are in good shape but that's the easy part. I figure 3 scenarios per a newsletter and each news letter is themed IE one issue might have all Stalingrad while another issue might be all deluxe. The articles I would write would be on rules, on the scenarios themselves and so on. Each newsletter would have something special included, special map or overlays and so on. Other then the dozen or so scenarios which are good, the rest at this point is a pipe dream lol.

Scott

Sounds like the old OAF - sign me up!

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like the concept Scott. Especially the deluxe issue with more DASL overlays!!!
easier said then done lol. Gotta get off my lazy ass and write up the articles, scenarios are in good shape but that's the easy part. I figure 3 scenarios per a newsletter and each news letter is themed IE one issue might have all Stalingrad while another issue might be all deluxe. The articles I would write would be on rules, on the scenarios themselves and so on. Each newsletter would have something special included, special map or overlays and so on. Other then the dozen or so scenarios which are good, the rest at this point is a pipe dream lol.

Scott

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Going to set up North to oboyan tonight, looks like it could have potential (I crumbled and got it for the overlays:mad:).

The overlays seem to be IMHO a high point for this, very handy and useful.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Going to set up North to oboyan tonight, looks like it could have potential (I crumbled and got it for the overlays:mad:).

The overlays seem to be IMHO a high point for this, very handy and useful.
IMO, this is how you should do ALL desert and steppe maps, flat boards and overlays. Sucks to have to work with that many overlays as a player, but the ability to do so much is more important. -- jim

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
IMO, this is how you should do ALL desert and steppe maps, flat boards and overlays. Sucks to have to work with that many overlays as a player, but the ability to do so much is more important. -- jim
Not that much of an issue with VASL.

von Marwitz

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I agree 100% Jim, it is then down to the scenario designer to make the map look interesting and worth playing over, and with overlays, he/she can add big Balks's worthy of Mother Russia, or a myriad of other bits and bobs to make the fight fun. I have to admit, although only 4 scenario and such, It has sort of grown on me, it works for some reason.