Votes: 0 0.0%
  • To make this multiple choice: And it whups Harry Potter's butt anyday

• Harry Potter is better.

• Total voters
Reaction score
Originally posted by Janos
I agree...Helms's Deep is far and away my favorite part of the books and The Two Towers for exactly that reason.

JS
If you liked the Helm's Deep battle sequences then you'll be absolutely blown away from what they do in RotK.

Reaction score
Originally posted by Overseer
The scouring of the shire (and thus anything else related to it) were never film as far as I know.
Its briefly shown in the first movie when Galadriel shows Frodo his potential future if the ring is not destroyed......

michammer

Reaction score
Country
ll
I never read the books but thoroughly enjoyed the movies. The battle scenes were tremendous.

I think ROtK just shades the Two Towers.

Reaction score
Originally posted by Lance Williams
Its briefly shown in the first movie when Galadriel shows Frodo his potential future if the ring is not destroyed......
The scouring of the Shire has to do with the removal of Sharky from Hobbiton and the Shire. Sharky, sorry to reveal it for those who don't know, is Saruman. It is my understanding that Saruman appears in the Return of the King, in Jackson's expanded version, which will come out on DVD later this year. My supposition is that it means the scouring of the Shire, or some theatrical equivalent. A less satisfying possibility is when Saruman faces Gandalf at his tower, and throws the Palantir at Wormtongue, and it sails through the window, and to the feet of Pippin.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There was on older movie done that covered about half the trilogy. It was animated, but they used a special technique to 'cartoonize' the actors for some scenes.

Although inferior to today's product, there has been interest in completing it, and I for one would love to see it finished. I was a huge fan back in the day!

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Shane Sohnle
There was on older movie done that covered about half the trilogy. It was animated, but they used a special technique to 'cartoonize' the actors for some scenes.

Although inferior to today's product, there has been interest in completing it, and I for one would love to see it finished. I was a huge fan back in the day!
I watched it, I believe it was by Robert (?) Backshi (sp?). Warner Brothers did complete it... HORRIBLY!

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Really! I wasn't aware of that. Maybe there was talk of redoing it then, as this news came about after the release of the trilogy...

Reaction score
Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom
I watched it, I believe it was by Robert (?) Backshi (sp?). Warner Brothers did complete it... HORRIBLY!
Ralph Bakshi. No one had the budgets at the time for a movie like this, nor a mainstream enough audience to support it. His rendition of the story used techniques he used in others of his movies. Visually it was interesting, but unless you knew the story, you would not have been able to follow much of it.

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Shane Sohnle

I've got it at the house. It was really clever how they turned the people into cartoons...and the soundtrack is spectacular!

Altho' not well regarded, I like the old one, but not as much as the new one.

JS

Reaction score
Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom
Yeah, the same guy who did "Fritz the Cat". It was pretty poor, but some of the songs were kind of cool. I did like the orcs singing "Where there's a whip, there's a way."

Stage

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought that they were amazing. I was extremely disapointed that Andy Sirkis was not nominated for an Academy Award, though. His scene in Two Towers where Gollum and Smegal were fighting each other was absolutely brilliant.

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, the same guy who did "Fritz the Cat". It was pretty poor, but some of the songs were kind of cool. I did like the orcs singing "Where there's a whip, there's a way."
The Animated Return of the King was Rankin Bass. And yes; Where there's a whip; there's a way is a GREAT song! :)
I pull put the DVD to listen to the song about every 6 months. :D Chapter 10, I think, is where it is located.

Cheers!
:toast:

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've got it at the house. It was really clever how they turned the people into cartoons...and the soundtrack is spectacular!

Altho' not well regarded, I like the old one, but not as much as the new one.

JS
Agreed. Mithrandir is on my playlist as one of my favorite songs.

Cheers!

:armed:

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven't heard of that one.

JS
Sorry; I missed seeing the flag for this reply. It was from Rankin -Bass's Return of the King. It's a fun song to sing a long too. Just found out that some group called Faster Pussycat did a song with the same name. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I hates when they doi that.

Lyrics can be found here.
http://www.tolkien-music.com/songs/rankin17.html

Cheers, Mate!

Reaction score
Originally posted by RichardS
Sorry; I missed seeing the flag for this reply. It was from Rankin -Bass's Return of the King. It's a fun song to sing a long too. Just found out that some group called Faster Pussycat did a song with the same name. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I hates when they doi that.

Lyrics can be found here.
http://www.tolkien-music.com/songs/rankin17.html

Cheers, Mate!
Hey Richard,

Thanks for the site with the lyrics. Years ago I knew it all and had kids at a church camp I was a counselor at singing it as we went out on field trips. That was always good for a few glances over the shoulders of the local populous........particularly when we got them to march in unison like the orcs in the movie. :laugh:

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Richard,

Thanks for the site with the lyrics. Years ago I knew it all and had kids at a church camp I was a counselor at singing it as we went out on field trips. That was always good for a few glances over the shoulders of the local populous........particularly when we got them to march in unison like the orcs in the movie. :laugh:
It's a great song. About the only reason to reason to watch the Rankin_Bass Return of the King. But it gives me the giggles with the use you put it too.
:thumb:

Cheers!

:armed:

tadcar

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Book series and movie version

I read the series about 30 years ago and when the movies came out, I thought it was about time!