Looking to get into miniature wargamming

Panzer Leader

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey, I have been interested in getting into minature wargamming for quite some time and had I few questions about the hobby. I wasn't sure if i should post this on the board game fourm or here so sorry if this is the wrong place.

From my research it seems like 15mm is the most common size for most wargamming, it also seems like for the most part you buy figures seperatley from the rules, and you just use 1 infantry piece to represent a squad etc.

Im just wondering what are the best companies to buy minatures and rules from. I am pretty much interested in modern or WW2 games. If there are any good websites you know of on miniature wargamming that would be helpful also.

Thanks!

Tim757

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Miniture Game Conventions...

I suggest that if you want to see some great miniture games and rules attend a game convention.

The next big one here in the midwest United States is "Little Wars" to be held NW of Chicago April 16-18th

www.little-wars.org

Do a search on the web for a convention in your area or check the bulliten boards at your local hobby stores that sell minitures...

Tim

dougkl

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
miniatuers gaming

Check out HMGS (Historical Miniatures Gaming Society)
They have chapters across the country. The web site for the Eastern Chapter is www.HMGS.org. another source is The Miniatures Page at http://theminiaturespage.com/

Scale of figures depends on what level you want to play. My group plays everything from 1 figure = 1 man or vehicle to where 1 model vehicle is a platoon and a stand of infantry is a squad or more.

Gaming with miniatures is a great hobby, the visual appeal adds much more enjoyment to the game IMO.

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Panzer Leader
Hey, I have been interested in getting into minature wargamming for quite some time and had I few questions about the hobby. I wasn't sure if i should post this on the board game fourm or here so sorry if this is the wrong place.
I've been hoping to get a separate section for miniature wargaming, but response does not appear to have been sufficient for ACG to set it up.
From my research it seems like 15mm is the most common size for most wargamming, it also seems like for the most part you buy figures seperatley from the rules, and you just use 1 infantry piece to represent a squad etc.
It depends on what you want to do, and what rules you want to use. For example, I wargame medievals and use a modified version of the CHAINMAIL rules. (Sorry for crossing eras on you, but pls stay with me.) Chainmail allows me to use my guys as either units (1 fig=20men) or as individuals (1fig=1man). Do you want to wargame as a squad leader or as a corps commander? That will tell you what rules you need. BTW, I wargame in 25mm -- it allows more detail than the 15's, so the guys look better,which is important to me.
Im just wondering what are the best companies to buy minatures and rules from. I am pretty much interested in modern or WW2 games. If there are any good websites you know of on miniature wargamming that would be helpful also.
Thanks!
I like to buy from a variety of companies to get a more diverse mix to my units. Unfortunately, I haven't bought any for several years and I'm from a different era, so others will have to help you with this one.
Best of luck!
Jeff
:horse::horse::horse::horse::horse:

Tiger1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Panzer Leader I'm trying to get into miniature wargaming also. But I'm getting set up with 20mm figures. ( WW2 German and Russian) I like the 44-45 period. The figures I got are from Battlefield Miniatures. If you think you may be interested in 20mm check out Georges sight at www.mmtoysoldiers.com Good luck to you. Mike

Tiger1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Janos Here is a sight on WW2 miniatures www.victoryforce.com They run from 25mm their example of this size is a 10 yo Hitler Youth, up to 33mm for a grown man. They say this makes them compatible with most 28mm figures. I'm assuming that they do it this way because not every male in the world is 5'10". They are pretty nice looking and some have different hands to carry different weapons.

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Tiger1
Hi Janos Here is a sight on WW2 miniatures www.victoryforce.com They run from 25mm their example of this size is a 10 yo Hitler Youth, up to 33mm for a grown man. They say this makes them compatible with most 28mm figures. I'm assuming that they do it this way because not every male in the world is 5'10". They are pretty nice looking and some have different hands to carry different weapons.
thanks!
:thumb: