Looking for Winter Battles

Compass Rose

Reaction score
Do any of the CWB titles cover any battles that took place during the winter time, with snow on the ground?

Thanks

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I think it also bears noting that the 'alt graphics' folder on CWB products is relatively new so that not all scenarios available are using it.

Basically what (I think) it includes are the graphics from Campaign Franklin. The point being that some that are set during the late Fall/Winter are not always going to necessarily look like it unless the scenario gets edited to point towards that 'alt' folder in the 'map' folder section. And that is more of a barren look than say, a "snow" type look.

Forgot too to mention Nashville (from Campaign Franklin). No snow I don't think -but your typical southern style late Fall type of thing. (Dec 1864 - iirc).

Last edited:

Compass Rose

Reaction score
Hey trauth116,

Can the game switch to having no snow on the ground, to having snow on the ground? If so, will the ground graphics change back & forth or do they stay the same for the whole battle?

If there is snow on the ground, does it affect movement points, visibility, etc.?

Thanks

Last edited:

trauth116

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Technically the answer is that they stay the same- but the stock graphics don't have snow.

The ones on the disk (or HPS patches in a lot of cases -this was a relatively recent implementation) look like http://hpssims.com/Pages/products/RifMusk/Franklin/franklin.html the one in Franklin.

There is at least one mod out there that changes it a little -but not to a snowy look, but rather a kind of scrubby, muddy type of look.

The graphics get set by the scenario designer (or editor ) at the start and don't change during the course of a scenario. Weather files included in the parameter data is also a relatively recent addition to the series.

Snow- now, the complication with that is that the terrain also should be giving some indication of elevation, and there are only so many shades of white that you can use (before you run out). Some people have taken the tack of using sort of a splotchy type effect- but at this point you are talking about basically mod creators and their imagination. At least that is my take on it for the moment. CWB seem to be using 28 different possible variations of elevation so finding a color combination even without a winter type effect is really a challenge (at least it was for me). :)

trauth116

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Forgot about this one .. it is one of the ones that gets overlooked since it happened early.

Mill Springs (Kentucky) - Jan 1862 is included in Campaign Shiloh. (There is a variant with the same name in Campaign Chickamauga -the one in Shiloh is the historical battle -there also is a campaign in Shiloh on this one.

___

The point about the snow; I'd done a little thinking on that before this topic came up as to how I might do it -and at the moment I suspect everything I got in mind would be probably pretty ugly- but it is all experimentation. The hexgrid I came up with for the CWB series- I decided I liked what I did for NB better - but you can't simply switch one hex grid file for the other in between the NB and CWB series- since the hexes are a slightly different shape. I think that I might be able to edit in the black portions of the hex bmp file and then edit around that... (there are other ways to get it done -but I think that I may not have save a sample of all of the hexes with the textures that I'd done --- just saved the file -which was a little dumb -but -well ... welcome to my world :hush: