Looking for VASL PBEM game

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I'm looking for another VASL PBEM game. IFT.

Max 3 boards in size. 3-4 logs /week.

Experienced in ASL but new to PBEM.

Michael T

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi
I am curious how do you play ASL via PBEM? I mean how do you get around First Fire, hidden units etc. So much interaction and all.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Hi
I am curious how do you play ASL via PBEM? I mean how do you get around First Fire, hidden units etc. So much interaction and all.
Using Vasl there is a format and standard to follow if using PBEM and exchanging log files, it’s pretty simple, there is an article in I think one of the Texas Banzai issues old one of the VFTT describing how.

Some also use Vasl and skye or discord.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Hey Micheal T, after the 21st I may have some free time, I can only really do pbem, I am rusty have not played in six years, but started in 85, but if you’re looking for someone on top of their game I’ll have to pass.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
At the bottom of Jacks link are two of the links I first used many moons ago:

And:

BTW is my good friend Andreas still around (see first link)?

Michael T

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi

Thanks for the links and info. I have a 'live' opponent now. But I am still going to check out the PBEM method. I will let you know if I decide to try it out.

Koestler

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
One word of unsolicited advice for those who start with PBeM: play a large scenario. The reason is that (at least in my experience) the number of logs does not depend on the number of units on the map. A scenario with 10 squads requires as much logs per turn as a scenario with 500+ squads. Additionally, those large scenarios are the ones which for practical reasons you will probably never play FtF. At the other hand, when first venturing into PBeM you may want to initially avoid scenarios with a lot of AFV vs AFV action, given the heightened interaction in such engagement. (When your Sherman is about to flank his Panther, it is vital for you to know whether he shot an MG to change VCA prior to stopping your Sherman, typically giving rise to the instruction: stop log if any of your AFVs does anything.)

Michael T

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I have looked in to playing via PBEM and it's just not my cup of tea. I will be sticking to 'live' vassal play. Thanks for all the links and tips anyhow.