Looking for VASL opponent - preferably North American TZs

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi! I am looking for someone available to play on a somewhat regular basis preferably in the evening for a couple of hours, once a week or so. I am currently at GMT - 6:00, and would prefer an opponent not too far from that.

I do have an ongoing regular VASL opponent, but he is a shift worker based in the UK, so getting together is problematic at times, and I want to play a bit more than I currently do.

I am a returning player, but way back when I played mostly incorrectly, so I am in the process of relearning. Expect a decent knowledge of "basic" rules, but with holes for less common situations. I am learning PTO, but don't have much familiarity with Chapter E or F stuff, though I'm willing to try. I am still learning the tactical implications for various rules, which is the best part of the game, imho.

I like to chat a bit, and play as much to be social as I do to play the game. Don't expect a super fast pace!

Thanks, and I hope to hear back soon!

BillH

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi CT,
I'd be interested in game. Fairly experienced but low-key player in it for enjoyment of the system. Live in Maine and could play one weekday evening (M-TH), preferably 9-11 or 10-12 Eastern (-5). Weekly flexibility as to the night would be great.
Bill

David McQuillan

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi CT, if you still looking for VASL player let me know. I'm looking to get back into ASL and working back up to speed. I'm located in Raleigh NC and can play most evenings with a little planning.
David

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi,

I have seen your interesting articles on the USA and bocage as well as your interest in the more
"command and control" aspects of ASL. This is a game designer approach and as I am very
similar in mindset I think that could make for v e r y interesting games.

At the moment I am trying the Operation Brigaton games ( about 10) from HoB. These are in the
whole incredible games, after playing some of these your skill level will dramatically improve, I also
would recommend either swapping sides or playing scenario a second time... this is where ones
comprehension will really show.

For example Hoffmiester's Charge has a mixed but quite strong German infantry coy, with heavy Panzer support
attacking a quite heavy city like position with (Russian) support from level 3 hills on the opposite bank of a river.

Not only that, the Russian have a 120mm rocket and dedicated 70 mm OBA !

Interested ??

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi there!

I'm glad someone had been paying attention to that series of posts, unfortunately I've kinda put that project on the back-burner, as there are a few issues to be worked out with how the Theater of Operations layer and the tactical (ASL, in this case) layer intersect in terms of how casualties are handled. I need to see the system develop a bit more before I invest more time into it.

Anyways, to your question! I'm afraid I have to decline - since putting this thread out I've actually got more potential players than I've got time to handle. It does sound interesting, but my dance card is pretty full at the moment. Thanks for the offer though, and good luck!