Looking for VASL Campaign Game of KGP-I or Operation Veritable CG-1

SteelDragon

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Experienced ASL player but have never played a campaign game.

KGP-I from Kampfgruppe Peiper I and CG-1 (Milk Factory) from Operation Veritable have always appealed to me because both players get to attack and defend. Plus they have more mobility than most of the other campaign games.

I would like to play "FTF" using VASL and Skype. I am available most Mondays thru Thursdays from 6:30 PM to 12:30 AM (night owl) CST. I am also available 1 to 2 weekends a month, when I can play on Friday 6:30 PM to 12:30 AM CST and/or Saturday/Sunday from 10 AM to 12:30 AM CST.

We may have to come some type of agreement on how to balance CG-1 (Milk Factory) from Operation Veritable. I believe the Germans have a huge advantage and the Canadian balance does not help enough. I have read some of the replays and if/when the rain starts on the 1st Campaign date can have a huge influence. Maybe we could bid on when the rain starts for the 1st Campaign date. If first player wants to play the Germans and bids on Game Turn 3 and the second player wants to play the Germans and bids on Game Turn 4, then the first player is the Canadian player, gets the Canadian balance, plus even though it is Overcast, rain can not start until Game Turn 4. Just an idea, let me know what you think.

If I can not find anyone wanting to play these campaign games, I may be open to other ideas.

Thanks

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
How much Xperience do you have playing either campaign

SteelDragon

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have never played any campaign so have no experience with either campaign.

The only reason I am concerned about the balance for the Operation Veritable campaign is because the ROAR record is 19 German wins to 7 Canadian wins.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
I have never played any campaign so have no experience with either campaign.

The only reason I am concerned about the balance for the Operation Veritable campaign is because the ROAR record is 19 German wins to 7 Canadian wins.
I've played the Milk Factory two times - both times the Germans won. My suggestion for balance would be: No possibility of rain at all on Date 1.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
In those 2 victories, was it ONLY the rain on Date 1 that caused the losses?

SteelDragon

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Canadians are most vulnerable during the first game date. They are attacking concealed/hidden units with almost no cover for at least the first 2 to 3 game turns as they enter the board. The Canadians have considerable Smoke/WP resources and the rain totally negates that. In addition, with rain the rolling barrages provide only +1 instead of +2 cover. The difference between rain on the 1st game turn and the 4th or 5th game turn is considerable. Think about an 88 antitank gun being smoked and firing out of its hex with a +4 on the TH DR. The same applies to HMGs and MMGs that are smoked in. Do the Canadians need no rain for the complete 1st game date in order to even the odds. I don't know. That is why I thought that allowing the players to bid on it may be the way to go.

SteelDragon

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just wanted to let everyone know, I found an opponent. Looks like I will be playing the KGP-I Campaign game as the Germans. Should be interesting. The lines-of-sight on the Stoumont map look crazy. First time I have played on a map with slopes so I am sure I will probably miss at least one open LOS.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just wanted to let everyone know, I found an opponent. Looks like I will be playing the KGP-I Campaign game as the Germans. Should be interesting. The lines-of-sight on the Stoumont map look crazy. First time I have played on a map with slopes so I am sure I will probably miss at least one open LOS.
Hopefully downloaded the "Slopes Play Aid" at Mark's Desperation Morale Site? It is helpful.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
The Canadians are most vulnerable during the first game date. They are attacking concealed/hidden units with almost no cover for at least the first 2 to 3 game turns as they enter the board. The Canadians have considerable Smoke/WP resources and the rain totally negates that. In addition, with rain the rolling barrages provide only +1 instead of +2 cover. The difference between rain on the 1st game turn and the 4th or 5th game turn is considerable. Think about an 88 antitank gun being smoked and firing out of its hex with a +4 on the TH DR. The same applies to HMGs and MMGs that are smoked in. Do the Canadians need no rain for the complete 1st game date in order to even the odds. I don't know. That is why I thought that allowing the players to bid on it may be the way to go.
Maybe a SSR to allow SMOKE to be placed but have it only +2 instead of +3 for the first day only....just for balance.