Looking for the perfect man

ASRomafan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't normally do this but I need a man or two or three or four. Preferably all at once if you get my gist.

The perfect man has a brain, a flexible one to work around significant challenges, and knows how to use it and has a strong interest in World War 2 history. Being an experienced ASL player is definitely preferable but not exactly required. He must be socially inclined with thick skin and able to work well in a group with various personalities and cultural mindsets. Having lots of free time to devote to me is definitely wanted but not necessary as I am not so vain to realize that I am not the only fish in the ocean. However the only thing required is a real desire to be a part of something that could be very special but will only become that with lots of help.

My name is Berlin. A new, to be independently produced HASL product that is in the beginning stages of work. Here is a snapshot of me.

If interested email me at edobenvento@yahoo.it

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I do not have time to get myself involved in the development of an ASL product of this scale. But provided, this independent publication will not be made by CH or its affiliates, I can offer to help if you run into issues with German language now and then.

von Marwitz

ASRomafan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do not have time to get myself involved in the development of an ASL product of this scale. But provided, this independent publication will not be made by CH or its affiliates, I can offer to help if you run into issues with German language now and then.

von Marwitz
This has nothing to do with CH. The genesis of this, and the core of our design group, OSDG, was of the improvement and future expansion of the CH product but that bridge with CH was not merely burned, it was blown apart.

So as it is, we sort of branched off on our own. One of the first steps was making sure that we had the means and ability to self produce. That we took care of early on. One of the group is in the position to handle financing production, another is in the position to see the actual production through having family contacts in the printing side.

The utopian goal of OSDG is to be an outlet for not a one time outlet for the substantial work and research that has gone into Berlin, but to encourage others to test their design skills and see their projects through to publication before they are drooling on themselves in a rest home. Berlin is in the oven now, but the hope and goal is to be an outlet for not just Berlin, but other members design aspirations. We would like to avoid a decade of sitting in someone's print queue after the years and years that will have gone into these. As such we are interested in those who are interested in all facets of the game. Rules lawyers, game theorists, CG/HASL fanatics and designers, scenario designers, map makers, artists, counter freaks and pretty much anyone who would like to take a step from merely playing the game to designing one.

I do thank you for the offer. Time is not really an issue, part of the strength of design by collaboration is everyone contributes per the time they have and are willing to invest.

What we are looking most for are interested/knowledgeable people in:

the history of Berlin circa 1945. Preferable German. We have a quite a varied group, nationally in our group, but no Germans ironically lmao.

Rules lawyers who know the rulebook well down to it's find details. We have two, I'd like more. As anyone who has played Berlin knows, it is as unique a battlefield in ASL as you find and very SSR intensive. A lot of rules challenges to model Berlin correctly.

Map makers to help proof the basic layout, offer suggestions to improve it, and take it to the next step which is bringing in the detail and buildings and getting a playtest version ready. Especially (considering the overall size and the crown jewell of it, the 8 map CG) a VASL'zation of the playtest map.

Whatever time you have to offer is wonderful Andre. Your name in particular came up in recommendation to me. If you email me I'll provide a Dropbox link to the 8 map Hexdraw files and large detailed map images. I would obviously want to make sure my Linguistics were correct, as well as as the historical accuracy. I spent a great deal of time on this basic layout of the 8 maps, many hundreds of hours over about 6 months, much in research, much in learning how to do ASL maps. This was only my second attempt and first at an urban environment. I think I have everything correct and done very close to scale but being a cautious person, I'd like to be sure before progressing to the next phase of the map design.Thanks and email me if you have any interest and time to contribute in the least.

Babyear

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is one impressive map. Can't wait to see what the final product might look like.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
There are some quite good aerial photographic maps that can be bought from tourist shops in Berlin. Each has a particular date so you can see the extent of the rubble at the time. I recommend them.

ASRomafan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is one impressive map. Can't wait to see what the final product might look like.
Thanks. That means a lot. It is encouraging to read. This was only my second attempt at a ASL map. The first was for the Norwegian HASL. Those 2 small wilderness maps took me a week. This layout took 6 months to properly research to scale accurately. It has been a labor of love and learning. Best feedback I've got so far described is not merely a ASL map, but a travel guide for 1945 Berlin :)

There are some quite good aerial photographic maps that can be bought from tourist shops in Berlin. Each has a particular date so you can see the extent of the rubble at the time. I recommend them.
thanks. I think I have the research on the specific details covered quite well but I am always looking for better information. I'll see what I can find. For me the biggest challenge isn't as much the research and the specific details, it is the technical expertise to get the maps to the next stage. I don't have it and will have to learn how to do it and do it well enough to at least compare to what others have done.

ASRomafan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is an outstanding tip....
Indeed. I wouldn't think of doing this if I didn't have the most accurate information I could get my hands on. Technically challenged I am, but have no lack of perfectionist streak in me in the creative details. :laugh:I have aerial photos of Berlin (3/4-45) perhaps there are some that might be more detailed by a couple days or a weeks, if they are out there. I'll find them. Anything past that is not needed. We want what Berlin looked like after 4-20 after the Allied bombers finished, and before 4-26 when the Russians moved in.

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
How old are you today ? Just asking... :whist:

Honestly, i like what i see. Despite being German i have no special knowlegde about the battle for Berlin or Berlin as a city ( was there once )...
But we have some ASL players from Berlin around, maybe they might provide some help...?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Good luck with the production. If I can help, let me know but I doubt we can do much playtesting but will certainly review the rules sections.

A coule of points from looking at the map. I assume most of the yellow area is buildings? If so, you will need some method of restricting the ability to move seperate thrusts through it. Communications in built up area were very hard and more attacks ground to a halt through the inability to coordinate the thrusts than through enemy action.

Secondly, if they are all built up and lots of rubble, be prepared for a "sitzkreig" as the attackers assault move advance through the map which, to my miond, makes for fairly dull play. Long lines of sight and fire lane opportunities may not represent the reality of the conflict but they may make for a slightly more interesting play.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
No all the yellow stuff is open ground. I don't know where all the buildings are hiding... :)

ASRomafan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good luck with the production. If I can help, let me know but I doubt we can do much playtesting but will certainly review the rules sections.

A coule of points from looking at the map. I assume most of the yellow area is buildings? If so, you will need some method of restricting the ability to move seperate thrusts through it. Communications in built up area were very hard and more attacks ground to a halt through the inability to coordinate the thrusts than through enemy action.

Secondly, if they are all built up and lots of rubble, be prepared for a "sitzkreig" as the attackers assault move advance through the map which, to my miond, makes for fairly dull play. Long lines of sight and fire lane opportunities may not represent the reality of the conflict but they may make for a slightly more interesting play.
Thanks Vinnie!! I'll definitely take you up on the rules offering. There are some rather distinct and challenging new design elements with this HASL. Starting with new counter types, new unit types, to the terrain, to a very different way of approaching, and playing CG's. I can use all the help I can find to make the rules as air tight as possible.

As far as the maps. Yes most of the open ground as you see it will be urban terrain, really only map 6 has significant open ground. What I posted was merely the layout of Berlin. By far the most challenging and time consuming aspect. As well as the most important to get right obviously. The few buildings you see I put in using generic Hexdraw buildings to help me with scale and points of reference. Those (along with the overlays) will get wiped when I start the second phase of it which is filling in the details. My time table on that is starting that sometime next month. I need a break from the maps (am now working on the rules) and wanted time to get feedback-suggestions/historical-cartological proofing before moving forward on that. I gave myself 6 months for the layout, and have given myself another 6 months for 2nd phase. I hope to have them ready for playtest by the end of the year.

As far as the 'sitskreig'? Nothing could be truer Vinnie. The Russians are in a race against time which is a primary overall design theme (the main crux of the fun factor in this as the overall outcome is obviously in no doubt), with deadlines coming from Moscow as they were in real life, if they assault move assault move assault move... they will not win. Even if they Russians 'win' on May 2, you lose for Stalin has already had you relieved and shipped back to Moscow and put you against a wall for not capturing it earlier.

ASRomafan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
a big day for the Berlin project.

Work started on the 2nd phase of the maps, and the first two sections of the Macro HASL rules section went out for proofing to the group and volunteers from outside the group.

As I feared, the 2nd phase will be immense expenditure in time and creative energy. The goal is to have the 8 playtest maps ready, and VASL compatible, by the end of year!

Thanks everyone for the map feedback and proofing offers! Very encouraging to see the interest and community support. If anyone else still is interested, just email me. A project this large is best suited with all the creative input it can get.