Last edited:

sillywilly4

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
You okay with playing a a learning player or prefer one of the experienced guys? I’ve played maybe two coached games.

Jason Bolles

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Jason
Country
llUnited States
Just joined the forum. Not ready to play yet, but I'm interested in following a game on VASL if that's possible. I plan to learn SK1 before moving on. Any advice for a rookie?

sillywilly4

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
Total rookie here too. I’m willing to have the blind lead the blind if you want to jump in. Have a newb 3 man game of some sort.

Jason Bolles

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Jason
Country
llUnited States
I'm just a week into this although I've had SK1 since the spring. Haven't used VASL yet, but I think there is a function where someone can "lurk" and watch a game. Why don't we talk further. Probably won't be ready for a live game until after the first of the year.

JAGgamer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can watch others on VASL. There is no lurking function, just go to "look for a game online" and enter a "room". I've heard the etiquette is ti ask before you enter but I've never had anyone snap at me )yet) for just shadowing. Most folks are pretty cool with folks watching. If a room is locked, you can IM one of the players and see if they will unlock it for you to enter and watch. Make sure you don't drag any of the counters around. I'll be online Thursday around 5:15 Eastern time playing TAC18 (full ASL).

Last edited:

Jason Bolles

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Jason
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the etiquette lesson. I'm new to the forum and VASL. I've downloaded VASSAL and VASL but haven't used them yet. I'll explore the videos and forum soon. Appreciate all the help now and in the future.

JAGgamer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Apologies Roger. We kind of got away from your pbem note! I'm getting away from pbem until after the new year or I'd have messaged you to play. Roll low!

JAGgamer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the etiquette lesson. I'm new to the forum and VASL. I've downloaded VASSAL and VASL but haven't used them yet. I'll explore the videos and forum soon. Appreciate all the help now and in the future.
No worries. Happy to help. I've had plenty of patient mentors in the past 2 years of vasling and you'll find the,in those rooms that you watch.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
More & more players are locking their games because of a puke called Spongebob and the like. They enter a game, move stuff around delete units and such and leave the players with a little "zing" note (a total "A**'"). You may just want to set up a game with a guy and bumble through a few turns as learning by doing is usually the best teacher if somewhat painful at times (hey, we all make mistakes as I doubt if there's ever been a mistake free game of ASL/ASLSK played). The instant feedback you get when you're the player is of inestimable value even if you're brand new to the system and rather unsure of what or how a thing is done..

TheSQLGuru

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1) Anyone new to ASLSK, please be sure to join the Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit Facebook group. There are over 1100 of us, and it is a GREAT resource. I am a moderator there and have posted up a huge collection of files and posts to help you get started.

2) You MUST read Jay Richardson's tutorials if you wish to optimize your learning of the game's rules and tactics!!!!! You also MUST carefully study the rules and examples therein.

3) Please do not start out playing against other new players. This will absolutely cause you to learn a myriad of bad habits and mislearn the rules and their application.

4) Play around with VASL (and download the short-cut key file). Everything (and more) that you can do in FtF games is available in VASL. Click and right click and drag and etc on everything.

5) I would be happy to play VASL/Skype games with newbies as often as my schedule permits. My daughter can do the same. I can be reached at TheSQLGuru on Google's mail service, and I can put you in touch with her. Oh, and avoid PBeM games for quite some time if at all possible as they GREATLY reduce the ability to learn effectively during play.

6) TAKE YOUR TIME in progressing through the game. Do not rush to get to Ordnance and Vehicles. There is a LOT of stuff to learn from those dozen pages of rules in SK 1, and it will set the foundation for all future play.

7) Note that there are over 100 SK scenarios out now, including some truly MONSTER engagements and even a campaign game!! There are quite a few scenarios in development AND a Pacific Theater of Operations SK 4 module that should be released in late winter or early spring 2019. So if you wish to stick with just SK, as many are doing, there is easily 10 years of enjoyment available to you.

8) WELCOME TO THE GREATEST TACTICAL WAR GAME EVER!!! :-D