Looking for P-16 mapboard Scenario

RedMike

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is it readily available ? Anyone have this scenario ?

Thanks!
RedMike...out

RedMike

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The map says WBW, Wargamer #30. It's a map of Tarawa.

RedMike...out

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WBW = Wild Bill Wilder.

This is one of his "inventions" that he tried to get some to purchase during the SL days.

Now you must pay BIG BUCKS on ebay for this "crap".

RedMike

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nevertheless, the map is available at vassal's module vsql page and therefore I was hoping perhaps there was a pdf of the scenario lurking about.

I know who WBW is. :)

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe the old Squad Leader Series "Blood and Sand" was originally designed by WBW and while claiming to include ~12 scenarios only came with 4, one of which used a tarawa board. This 'unofficial variant' was an attempt to bring PTO to Squad Leader, which wasn't going to happen for SL until ASL.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Wargamer #30, PTO Scenario P-9 Bloody Betio! uses half of the the P-16 map from the same mag. I believe WBW put a few more SL PTO scenarios in On All Fronts fanzine but don't remember if they used the P-16 map or not.

sbramley1967

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
opps, double posted some how. See next post.

Last edited:

sbramley1967

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can add some more information on Blood and Sand...(3 years after the original post)

Blood and Sand, as a complete package, was originally advertised in On All Fronts issue 15 (Feb 1984) as 20 Scenarios within three series.
Series 1 "Against The Rising Sun" contained seven scenarios covering Guadalcanal, Okinawa, Saipan, and the Philippines
Series 2 "Island Ordeal" contained six scenarios, special invasion rules and two new board covering Tarawa and Iwo Jima plus others.
Series 3 "Do or Die" contained seven scenarios, unmounted Japanese counters, rules on tunnels, dogs, infiltration and weather and covered Tinian, guam, Iwo Jima, Burma, Manchuria, Kwajelein and others. Price was $5.00, $6.00, $6.00, respectively or $13.00 for all. (now out-of-production)

Gung-Ho!, A Campaign game for the Squad Leader System was later advertised in On All Fronts issue 17 (April, 1984) and contained five PTO scenarios with 'no new counters or mapboards' playable as a campaign or individually. $5.00.

Troubled Times #1, a modern variant, was first advertised in On All Fronts issue 15 (Feb 1984) and contained seven scenarios, one new map and mounted counters of Patton tanks, Jeeps, Australian infantry, M-60 MGs and M-79 GL covering Dien Bien Phu, Jerusalem, rescue of the crew of "Mayaguez". $5.00

Troubled Times #2, a modern variant, was first advertised in On All Fronts issue 16 (March, 1984) and included mounted counters for C-130, Black Beret Rangers, M-60s and M-79s and covered the Bay of Pigs, Grenada, and the '56 Arab-Israeli war.

Bill Wilder published several of these scenarios in The Wargamer, as noted above and On All Fronts, in addition to others. I found the "The City" interesting because it covers the Vietnam era and contains counters for Hueys and M-113s plus village board, P-21. It was published in On All Fronts issue 10 (Sept 1983).

You can find more information at the Scenario Archive. See all the scenarios designed by Bill Wilder by searching the Scenario Archive using 'Designer' in the Publisher tab. On completion the scenarios are listed and the map updated.

and thats all i know about Blood and Sand and Wild Bill Wilder.

EDIT:
Glory and Grief, and ASL variant
http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?79681-GLORY-amp-GRIEF-ASL-Vietnam-Variant-Anyone-see-this-on-eBay

Last edited:

sbramley1967

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Blood and Sand Series I - III

Hi,

The complete series including Rules, 20 Scenarios, counter sheets, boards and overlays is available here.

Scott