Looking for CH Uncommon Valor VASL Map

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi ya-

I seem to remember years ago that there was a VASL map for CH UV map, I have board UV but it is in a gif file, if someone has the Vasl version of UV please send too: stalingrad838@yahoo.com

Thanks

Scott

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I should be able to VASL the gif file for you Scott. Send it to bigal737 at geemale dot com.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Nope, Uncommon Valor is an old CH HASL set on Iwo Jima. Plys I am really digging Caves, they are not hard and thankfully I have a VASL opponent who likes to play that sort of stuff. Very few people want to play cabes, night or beach landings sadly.

Scott
Dan Dolan & I are doing the Gavutu-Tanambogo CG every Sunday morning .. almost done with Assault Day 2 ..

bkemp01

Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks both to BKempf and Jim Travers for sending me the map much appreciated and am already planning my Japanese defense. Just gotta figure out which PL rules set is used lol.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I have my own Iwo Jima map which is in a gif file. Could someone turn it into a VASL map for me? I want to send it to Scott.

What is the difference between a gif file and a VASL map?

Khan-Dam

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I have my own Iwo Jima map which is in a gif file. Could someone turn it into a VASL map for me? I want to send it to Scott.

What is the difference between a gif file and a VASL map?
The vasl map is a gif with a little file with infos into a zip format

I can transform it for you is the lasted version of IWO jima map is the map found in resources part of these forum ?

I sent you a message last year about the numérotation of hex, have change something or not ?
I be back at home tomorrow and I can made the transformation for you

Regards from france

Cheers

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
In the resources section there are several versions of the map. The gif file is called the VASL version. It would be much appreciated if you could make the VASL map. Thanks.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
There is a problem with my map when it is converted to VASL. The trouble is that the hexdraw software which created it starts the map with a half hex called A0. VASL maps should start with a whole hex called A1. That means the VASL program is inaccurate by one hex when it comes to registering the hexes on my map. It could only be fixed by amending my map to start with a whole hex A1. It is not something I can do at the moment.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
As I recollect there is a way to say what the x & y coordinates of the start hex is in the image. I suspect if you put the start hex "off board" vasl will then vasl may work. It is not something I have tried, but it might work. If the "start hex" is also off the image so that you have to use a negative number and that doesn't work, the fix may be as simple as padding the image with some white until the coordinate becomes positive. On the other hand negative numbers may just work, or perhaps you don't need to go negative because there is already sufficient padding in the image.

JR

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
So BigAl turned my gif file map into a VASL map. The name of the file is bdIwoJima.zip. Is this likely to open in VASL or should it be without the .zip at the end? I thought VASL files were without the .zip . Could someone try it for me?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Sure Jackson. It is ready for download in the resources section. Or I can send it by email.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So BigAl turned my gif file map into a VASL map. The name of the file is bdIwoJima.zip. Is this likely to open in VASL or should it be without the .zip at the end? I thought VASL files were without the .zip . Could someone try it for me?
The board file is within the zip file. Unzip it to reveal the bdIwoJima file (there’s no .extension to that file, just like other VASL boards). Put the bdIwoJima file in your VASL boards folder and you’re good to go.

The hex numbers are correct.

Nice lookin map. Enjoy your game.

Al

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The board file is within the zip file. Unzip it to reveal the bdIwoJima file (there’s no .extension to that file, just like other VASL boards). Put the bdIwoJima file in your VASL boards folder and you’re good to go.

The hex numbers are correct.

Nice lookin map. Enjoy your game.

Al
Yeah .. sorry for the bad instructions! @Honza The darker it is the higher it is - yeah?