Looking for ASLSK PBEM opponent

Earl_8minus0

Reaction score
First name
Earl
Country
llSouth Korea
This was a long 3 day American Holiday weekend. Sounds like a plan I will drop you my email on Kaka and we can make arrangements for scenario and time. Plus hopefully at some point also make plans to meet. Later, Earl

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Earl is a greater teacher and player. He will get you into the game in no time! Enjoy playing.

Vinny

Earl_8minus0

Reaction score
First name
Earl
Country
llSouth Korea
Vinny

Let Mark know that another introduction to ASL has been done using TTS Alpha - Moon Su has a good understanding of the rules.

I am starting to know more about traveling across Board 4 as I do Board 1 - funny how classic scenarios never get old - just us.

So it is more just showing him how to apply them - like we all wish we had a better understanding of - than and better dice - LOL.

Take care of yourself and stay in touch.

Later,

Earl

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Earl - glad you are still getting mileage out of those Alpha scenarios! The dice gods do make it different and interesting each time lol.

Mark is sending me what you gave him at ASLOK so thank you! Best, Vinny

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Remember to move in stacks, Earl. You can cross board 4 much faster that way. Also tends to cut down on play time. :)

Jim

buser333

Reaction score
I sat in on one of their game sessions and asked him the same question. He said it was a converted SL scenario and I was able to look it up online and find the card.[/QUOTE]

vetsurg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
This is an interesting website and series of scenarios. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but are these lessons pertinent to learning ASL? Is this a self-study course? I've been at this game for a year now and still don't feel I have a great grasp of things much of the time.

First of all, don't give up. Most of the players have been in the same boat and things will "click" eventually.

1) Read (reread) Chap A & B. If you aren't playing a scenario with factories, no need to fully comprehend the B23.74 factory rule (just using this as an example). Each time you play, look to understand and add something new -- dashes, snap shots, etc. Ordnance and Vehicles are cool toys to play with, but learn the infantry game first.

2) If you are the attacker, look at the map from the defender's point of view and vice versa. Break the scenario down by turns, and think about where you want to be at the end of each turn.

3) Check out the ASL Google Players Map:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1goYBML4s19fjE68-_VuxJ_2361U&hl=en_US&ll=32.32407998728592,-110.92729678670997&z=11

There are a few guys listed in your area; send out an email and see if you can find a local player. Most of us would love to have local players close by.

4) Post in the opponents wanted section. Currently I have one PBEM and a couple of live VASL/Skype games going. I might be able to squeeze in another PBEM game, especially in the winter months.

Drop me a line if I can be of further help.

Cheers,

Mark

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
This is an interesting website and series of scenarios. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but are these lessons pertinent to learning ASL? Is this a self-study course? I've been at this game for a year now and still don't feel I have a great grasp of things much of the time.
Earl uses these as a base to teach new players ASL. You can use them and play solo as each one focuses on specific rules and how you need to adapt play to each new thing added. The best way to learn is to play other players as you will see how players use the rules. It’s about playing not winning. Don’t feel like you are wasting anyone’s time. Just let them know you Are learning the rules and 95% of ASL players will walk you through the game and give pointers. There is also Chapter K in paratrooper and the 2nd ed rule book (I think) that walks you through infantry basics. Starter kit is also good intro to the system. Again, you will learn more quickly playing live opponents as the rules start to make more sense. Play, take a beating, go back read the RB, repeat! Good luck!

TheSQLGuru

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is an ASLSK scenario, so I assume you are speaking of that game.

1) The single most important thing is to simply memorize and KNOW the rules. This is number one on Mike McGrath's 13 Things to Make You a Better ASL Player in his Tactics 101 article. Go find that, most of it applies to ASLSK too. http://www.vftt.co.uk/Games/Avalon Hill/00 The General/The General Vol 30 No 1.pdf

2) Read and reread and reread all of Jay Richardson's ASLSK Tutorials. Move the pieces on the board as you do the examples. Ponder the rules that you have memorized and how they apply and shape the decisions and actions.

3) Play BETTER PEOPLE THAN YOU ARE. Absolutely critical for success. Analyze what was done by you and especially your opponent. Be sure to factor out extraordinary rolls for most things. Otherwise you can get a false impression that something silly was awesome. :-D Accept advice and recommendations. Oh, have you worked with Patrick Ireland? He has trained some 140 people over the years in ASLSK.

Send me a private message if you would like to do a VASL game. I sadly don't have enough bandwidth for additional play right now, but my daughter is getting quite good and I am sure can help you with rules and tactics.

EDIT: Here's another collection of things that can help:

https://hongkongwargamer.com/2013/07/21/grognards-speaks-advanced-squad-leader-articles-that-change-their-lives/

Last edited:

Earl_8minus0

Reaction score
First name
Earl
Country
llSouth Korea
Hello To All Concerned Parties

Vinny (xenovin) above pretty much spelled it out and provided the link - but in my own words and what I attempt to do is.

Tactical Training Series (TTS) are a set of progressively more in depth scenarios that build/add upon what was covered in the previous scenario.

In this case Introduction to Set Up, and Basic Tactics that grow and grow as you move from Alpha to Zeta

Lets take the map boards as an example start out on 4 without grain add in grain, move to board 3 and add in hills and blind hexes, than lets go back and look at 4 with 2 and change up from Germans vs Russians to Germans vs Americans with Tanks.

Having said the above this is based upon Squad Leader and not Advanced Squad Leader but the basic is there just adapt as it fits - no SAN add it, 3 LMG and 2 MMG or such count (look at what should fit for that time period) - case in point I usually remove 1 LMG.

But it is what feels right that counts.

When you and your student feel comfortable with Alpha and maybe Beta and at the end of the other key teaching points - the other key teaching add I introduce is:

The 4 Steps to Learning ASL as presented in Vae Victis that also presents basic steps but this is now full ASL and ties in with what was covered in TTS but in 100% ASL speak.

So if you ever want to move counters around that build upon the previous to show/teach someone the game - this is my way.

Now if I could only remember half of what I have lost/forgotten about this game - or how to frame my thoughts in a better format to be understood as a question on GameSquad - LOL.

Later, Earl

PS If your still reading and like what you find out about TTS - give GTS a shot in full ASL and at the end let me know your stress level and what side you finished on and if victory was yours or not.

PSS Vinny yes I still have your fully worked up GTS and hope to have Moon Su finish it before Shin Young lets me leave Korea - well that and playing Korean ASl in Korea and depending on the scenario maybe going to the actual location and playing (wouldn't that be kool to send Jim as a Picture in my Philly T-Shirt). LOL. . .