Looking for an opponent/tutor for Live VSAL

PhilC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi - I have been advised multiple times on this forum, that learning this system is most effective when played "live" with an experienced willing soul. I have a reasonable understanding of the absolute infantry basics but am yet to finish my first scenario (Gavin Take PBEM)
If you have the patience of Job and would enjoy a challenge, I would be eternally grateful for your help. I live in the UK. Many thanks.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Hi - I have been advised multiple times on this forum, that learning this system is most effective when played "live" with an experienced willing soul. I have a reasonable understanding of the absolute infantry basics but am yet to finish my first scenario (Gavin Take PBEM)
If you have the patience of Job and would enjoy a challenge, I would be eternally grateful for your help. I live in the UK. Many thanks.
I'm more than happy to give you a game or three if you wish. I'm up near Bury/N. Manchester. Where are you?
Happy to do vASL with Skype and can do evenings generally.
Happy to catch up face to face at some point logistics dependent so I can work on you to try persuade you to attend a UK tournament ;)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Phil, if you can get hold of Martin Mayers, grab the chance!

You could say that he was one of my mentors when I turned up here around a dozen years ago and began "playing real people" via VASL. He is an aimable chap and a good player to boot. It can't really start off better...

Cheers,
von Marwitz

PhilC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks Von Marwitz :)

Hi Martin - That is just great! consider your hand snatched off! I am in Swansea. I'm up to speed with the mechanics of VASL and use Skype. I have my son visiting at the moment but leaves Thursday. Could we chat Thursday/Friday evening to arrange a time to suit you?
If you get me to the point that I can hold my own, I would love to attend the UK tournament :)
thanks again for your kind offer - just fantastic!

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Thanks Von Marwitz :)

Hi Martin - That is just great! consider your hand snatched off! I am in Swansea. I'm up to speed with the mechanics of VASL and use Skype. I have my son visiting at the moment but leaves Thursday. Could we chat Thursday/Friday evening to arrange a time to suit you?
If you get me to the point that I can hold my own, I would love to attend the UK tournament :)
thanks again for your kind offer - just fantastic!

When I say UK Tournament they're more 'conventions'. Which incorporate competitive and also friendly gaming. I totally understand that you'd want to feel that you'd reached a certain minimum level of competence before making the jump. I was absolutely in the same boat. If you have even the slightest 'itch' a few weeks or months down the line then I'll put you in touch with a couple of guys (Alex Ashton/Mike Bingham) who were both where you currently are not so long back before attending BFB '21 last November and they both now can't get enough of it.

Anyhow...speak Thursday. Anytime after 7.30pm is good. And if you have in mind a scenario you fancy playing then we can start it if you wish Friday. If you message me your Skype username I'll ping you an introductory wave.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Phil going to an event will get you up to speed. Don't be concerned about it. You will have fun and learn and meet new people.
Yep. Even if all you do is wander down for a day or two, chew the fat, watch some of the games then you'll have a good time. The guys I mentioned earlier Alex and Mike. Mike managed to get his first game in last November (against me) and then his first win shortly thereafter (against Martin Barker). Alex was slightly farther along in his ASL-time and entered one of the tournaments...and managed to win his first competitive game (which is undoubtedly the kind of feeling that should be bottled and sold as a fragrance).

Me personally though. When I attended Intensive Fire in 1995 with my best friend Andy, we both decided we were going to just 'go for it' and get as much out of the tournament as we conceivably could. I think I played around ten competitive games that first time. Lost them all. Totally got the bug. The most amusing part was being assigned to a team of four...the other three had already been matched for round one...they casually smirked and said to me "you're playing Leonard". I asked "who's he?"

Turns out it was Phillipe Leonard. Designed Kampfgruppe Peiper. My first ever competitive game against the designer of one of the famous ASL campaign games. Denouement the scenario was called. He absolutely rinsed me of course. And I enjoyed every second LOL

PhilC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
When I say UK Tournament they're more 'conventions'. Which incorporate competitive and also friendly gaming. I totally understand that you'd want to feel that you'd reached a certain minimum level of competence before making the jump. I was absolutely in the same boat. If you have even the slightest 'itch' a few weeks or months down the line then I'll put you in touch with a couple of guys (Alex Ashton/Mike Bingham) who were both where you currently are not so long back before attending BFB '21 last November and they both now can't get enough of it.

Anyhow...speak Thursday. Anytime after 7.30pm is good. And if you have in mind a scenario you fancy playing then we can start it if you wish Friday. If you message me your Skype username I'll ping you an introductory wave.