Looking for an assistant...

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
...would like to find at least one person to help me accumulate content for the section and generally help keep things active. No HTML skills are required, though that would be a plus. Essentially, if you can post on this forum and play the games, then you have the minimum requirements. :)

Dunhill_BKK

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I assume you need some form of access to provide assistance, and that it can't be and "open" wiki-like system.

What data is required? I don't know what sort of problem that might occur from such items as Dr Don Adams' swish Gettysburg map, which is currently a litte harder to access, since it's now a commercial concern for him.

There are heaps of ACW websites out there, with info on people, units and maps. I guess you want HPS-specific info.

Just checking.

rahamy

Reaction score
Dunhill_BKK said:
I assume you need some form of access to provide assistance, and that it can't be and "open" wiki-like system.
Yes, a "higher level" of access would be greated to this user to assist with section admin, I.E. form activities.

What data is required? I don't know what sort of problem that might occur from such items as Dr Don Adams' swish Gettysburg map, which is currently a litte harder to access, since it's now a commercial concern for him.

There are heaps of ACW websites out there, with info on people, units and maps. I guess you want HPS-specific info.

Just checking.

Primarily HPS or Battleground specific content, yes, but ACW gaming as a whole is ok. We report the Tiller games, but there's no reason people can't talk about others.

Also, After Action Reports - either generating them, or working with people to generate them.

Good articles on our topic, either writing them, or locationg, obtaining permission, and getting them posted in the articles section.

Compiling a comprehensive link center to Civil War related material on the web.

Those are just some ideas, and I'm sure other things could be done...

Dunhill_BKK

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I reckon I could start up an AAR of the Full Battle of Gettysburg Arckon and I currently playing out.

I'll ask him if he wants to contribute to a joint effort. I'm not promising anything like the legendary WITP AAR by Luksan and RaverDave, but it might be interesting. It's a first PBEM game for me for Gettysburg, so I'm learning a few tricks and experiencing a few problems as well.

Cheers,

rahamy

Reaction score
That would be great. You could do it "as you go" by starting a new thread in the AAR section above, or you could wait and compile a report after the game is complete...any way you want to do it. Check out the 2nd day of gettysburg one Mark Nelms and I did a while back.

arckon

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Oookay, :OHNO:

to be honest would be happy to do this there is however a BUT

Don't take this the wrong way Dunhill_BKK, but

I played this totally blind and was totally surprised by where the Reb reinforcements came in ( I am just an Aussie with very basic historical knowledge of Gettys), as a result I am completely out of position and doubt this game will last long. :dead:

Would also like a crash course in posting screen shots to the forum so we could do the AAR as we play. Not necesarily every turn but every say 5 turns and key moments.

BUT would be happy to do this with a restart of the scenario. As we are only 20 turns in shouldn't be a problem and of course would continue with the original game.
Will not do with our current game though.

rahamy

Reaction score
Sounds good...however you want to handle it...

As for images, there's a couple of differnt ways it can be done. If you have your own web space you can upload them there, then put a link to the file inside your post...this will make the image actually appear inside the text of your post.

If you don't have your own web space, you can upload an attachment using the "Attach Files" section below the area where you type in your message. This will give a link people click to pull up a copy of the image.

Make sure that attachment isn't too big too - I think the limit for this area is 500kb or something.

rahamy

Reaction score
Gents,

We've got at least one AAR in the works now, but will no one step forward and place their sword in service of the section "officially" as my assistant? Come on...the pay is great! :laugh:

Dunhill_BKK

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
No worries mate,

I am fine with that. I just enjoy playing PBEM. I'll have to send you some links to websites that describe the battle. As I've not played the Union at all, I'm basing my intel on the known routes of union arrivals from things like Wikipedia and links from there to other Gettysburg battle websites.

We've both been making some mistakes, that the community might like to hear about, such as my ill-timed cavalry charge, my "unusual" initial deployment of artillery. I've aso had some friendly fire incidents, problems with supply wagons, and have found out the hard was about a couple of other user interface difficulties.

I however, don't really have the time to become an assisstant right now, maybe in a couple months.

Cheers,

rahamy

Reaction score
So no one is willing to step forth eh? Come on guys...I't a stretch for me to make this a great place to be all on my own...could really use the help!