Look How Far We've Come

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Our concentration camps are made of tents as in the British tradition, not wooden buildings like the German's sometimes used.

2016: "You act like Trump will be building concentration camps."

2019: "I think calling them 'concentration camps' is inflammatory."

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Ah, the Second Boer War, the origin of "Concentration Camps" raises its head again.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ouch. Technically, AOC is right - those are concentration camps. But because most folks don't know the difference between a concentration camp and an extermination camp, it was probably a poor choice of words. I like her a lot, but she needs to be a bit more careful.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You obviously didn't listen to her entire quote, where she clearly distinguishes between Death Camps and concentration camps. But the right wing press cut it and ran with it, and now even you have accepted their version.

We should be more careful ourselves and boycott anything to do with right wing media until the liars are bankrupt. Or, we could have a revolution and murder them all. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You obviously didn't listen to her entire quote, where she clearly distinguishes between Death Camps and concentration camps. But the right wing press cut it and ran with it, and now even you have accepted their version.

We should be more careful ourselves and boycott anything to do with right wing media until the liars are bankrupt. Or, we could have a revolution and murder them all. Six of one, half dozen of the other.
Your not suppose to talk about murdering people- you fucking weirdo asshole. Keep it to yourself.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Your not supposed to elect racist russian agents to presidency, but you did. Of course, mine is obviously a joke, while yours is diddling the country. Ha ha, teaches me.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Don't expect a Spankyist to understand sophisticated things like irony or sarcasm.

Remember he is from the tard part of the bipartisan catch all term libtard.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually, I had read everything she said and no, I don't accept the right-wing propaganda efforts to bring her down. I also don't accept Chuck Todd or MSNBC's similar criticism of her comments for the same reasons.

I'm trying to say that while AOC is technically right by calling them concentration camps (which they are), the choice of words could have been more careful. The problem here is that the subject issue itself - namely the caging of people - should be the main issue to focus on, and not what it has now become - namely the choice of her wording and what those words mean. They're hot-button words, trigger words that many people don't know how to process. Most people don't read, much less think. Give them effective wording, but avoid the trap of having the symbols (words) deflect from what the symbols mean.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"The government of the United States would never call the sprawling network of facilities now in use across many states “concentration camps,” of course…. But by Pitzer’s measure, the system at the southern border first set up by the Bill Clinton administration, built on by Barack Obama’s government, and brought into extreme and perilous new territory by Donald Trump and his allies does qualify…. These kinds of detention camps are a military endeavor: they are defensible in wartime…. But inserting them into civil society, and using them to house civilians, is a materially different proposition. You are revoking the human and civil rights of non-combatants without legal justification." - Jack Holmes, Esquire Magazine

a pretty good definition of the term

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"The government of the United States would never call the sprawling network of facilities now in use across many states “concentration camps,” of course…. But by Pitzer’s measure, the system at the southern border first set up by the Bill Clinton administration, built on by Barack Obama’s government, and brought into extreme and perilous new territory by Donald Trump and his allies does qualify…. These kinds of detention camps are a military endeavor: they are defensible in wartime…. But inserting them into civil society, and using them to house civilians, is a materially different proposition. You are revoking the human and civil rights of non-combatants without legal justification." - Jack Holmes, Esquire Magazine

a pretty good definition of the term
Is that a definition or a statement?

I think the latter but it made you feel better to make sure you got Bill Clinton and Barack Obama lumped in with tRUMP.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the latter but it made you feel better to make sure you got Bill Clinton and Barack Obama lumped in with tRUMP.
Is your comment politically motivated because, like me you can't stand Trump, or do you have factual reason to believe it isn't true? I can't stand Trump, but is a denial of facts a worse thing?

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No toothbrushes, no soap, no bedding besides concrete and a foil "blanket". Again, the republican party's response has been:

2016: "You act like Trump will be building concentration camps."
2019: "I think calling them 'concentration camps' is inflammatory."

Trump administration tells court detained kids are 'safe and sanitary' without toothbrushes or soap

The Trump administration went to court on Tuesday to argue that “safe and sanitary” treatment can mean keeping children in detention without soap or toothbrushes and sleeping on cold concrete floors. The three judges on the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals panel hearing this argument were not having it.

The administration was asking the appeals court to overturn a district court’s order that the longstanding Flores settlement, which governs treatment of detainees, requires such basic hygiene items. While Flores calls for detainees to be housed in “safe and sanitary” conditions, it didn’t specifically mention toothbrushes—or, apparently, sleeping conditions other than a cold floor with a foil blanket—so the Trump administration wanted the 9th Circuit to say it doesn’t have to provide them. The judges wanted to be really sure that was what the administration was arguing.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here are three judges listening to a government hired attorney arguing that the appellate court's decision that children must be held in "safe and sanitary" conditions did not mean that sleeping on concrete with a foil blanket wasn't "safe and sanitary" because they didn't spell that out.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is your comment politically motivated because, like me you can't stand Trump, or do you have factual reason to believe it isn't true? I can't stand Trump, but is a denial of facts a worse thing?
Are you trying to imply that your comment WASN'T politically motivated? Please.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"'You can’t make Hitler analogies until there are at least six million dead' say people who make Stalin analogies when the top marginal tax rate goes up by 3%." -- Jacob T. Levy

Note that a top marginal tax rate increase only has to be mentioned, not actually go up, for the Stalin analogies to begin.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"DHS ripped 1000s of children from their parents & put them in cages w inhumane conditions. They call their cells “dog pounds” & “freezers.”
I will never apologize for calling these camps what they are. . . .

What’s worse, Congress has asked DHS for documents on the whereabouts of children taken from their parents. We‘ve asked for details & records on camp conditions. DHS has refused to cooperate or provide Congress w/ the requested information." -- AOC

Because the principle role of the executive branch is to hide information from the legislative. Republicanism!

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And last but not least, a quote someone posted but I don't know who originally said it.

"Fox News did to our parents what they said video games would do to us."
Oh man, ain't that the truth!