Long forgotten scenarios

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
This is #1 on the top 10 least favorite board configurations in ASL! so no, I've never played any of them. Dorosh can probably tell you the ones that are good.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
The "conditions" required for the contest about board orientation and the mandatory use of Guns made the task really hard. It's not very simple design a scenario where the four boards laid end-to-end have a design reason and aren't just a negligible quirk. I made a step further including all nationalities available to SK players - US-It-Allied-Brit-Ger-Rus- in the only battle where they all fought at the same time (it happened during the Spanish Civil War) at least according my sources at that time.

Thus in my design I decided that the player "controlling" more boards at game end wins. That makes sense since the tactical dimension in such a huge scenario is partially replaced by the "operational" taste of the battle. VCs explained the way each board is controlled.

all in all it was a good experience

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
These scenarios are certainly "outside the box" in the design realm.
I really need to play one of these, maybe this weekend???
It is shame that this free pack has not received much love. (I am guilty here too)

Regards
Joe

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
It is shame that this free pack has not received much love. (I am guilty here too)

Regards
Joe
also consider that Designers had about two months in total to conceive and playtest their scenarios! I suspect that the playtest stage has been scarce at best.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Regards
Joe
Most free scenarios receive little attention, in general terms. There are exceptions, but they are VERY few and far between in ASL.

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Most free scenarios receive little attention, in general terms. There are exceptions, but they are VERY few and far between in ASL.
You summed things up rather well. Free scenario do have a certain "vibe" to them that seems to limit playings. ECZ's point on play testing is noted as well!!

On the annoying side, I could not get one of these in this weekend, tied up most of Saturday.

Thanks
Joe

TheSQLGuru

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My daughter and I are going to be at the Texas ASL tournament this summer, for the full event. They put out a lot of effort to draw in and engage ASLSK players. I am going to try to arrange a playing of one of these monster scenarios while we are there. I will post it on ROAR for sure and put an AAR here if I remember. :)

defender7

Recruit
Reaction score
I have actually built a few of these for vasl, and they are looking good for those who want to stretch the legs.
I played this game since it was Squad Leader. There are a few reviews at archives on these, and I believe they are worth playing.
I should have the entire set built in vasl vsav. soon. It is the year 2021 and im greatly disparaged when i see mmp's asl files for download. It's shameful.