Lonesome Dove DVD

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All,

I wanted to enjoy a Sunday watching Lonesome Dove on a DVD.

Well I was "hood-winked". The DVD cut out about three hours of story line.

Now I'm depressed about watching the rest of this movie. Might as well just drink ALL my beer and watch football instead.

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The version that I recently bought at WalMart is complete with a run time of about six hours (eight hours on TV with commercials would equal about six hours on DVD without commercials).

An Internet search suggested (with much confusion) that there might have been an early DVD release that was edited down to 4 hours but I could not find an authoritative reference to confirm that.

I found a number of sources that said that the "edited" version ends in Montana with no footage of the return of Gus MacRae's body to Lonesome Dove. My version includes the return trip, the burned down hotel, etc.

Where does your version end?

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The version that I recently bought at WalMart is complete with a run time of about six hours (eight hours on TV with commercials would equal about six hours on DVD without commercials).

An Internet search suggested (with much confusion) that there might have been an early DVD release that was edited down to 4 hours but I could not find an authoritative reference to confirm that.

I found a number of sources that said that the "edited" version ends in Montana with no footage of the return of Gus MacRae's body to Lonesome Dove. My version includes the return trip, the burned down hotel, etc.

Where does your version end?
My version skips the fighting with the renegade where the Sheriff from Fort Smith loses his son Jobe, his deputy and a cute girl. The area where Robert Urich links up with the bad guys and the crossing of the first stream where the cotton mouths kill the young Irish kid.

I was so perturbed, I did not watch the complete second disk, but I believe the ending in Montana will happen.