Lone Canuck Anzio 1944 Pack VASL

ireland94

Starter Kit Teacher/Mento
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have just received my Lone Canuck Anzio 1944 Pack the covers the exploits of the First Special Service Force, FSSF (aka Devil's Brigade). However, several new counters have been introduced with the pack. Is someone working on a VASL extension to support these new counters?

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
You will probably have better luck posting this in the VASL folder than here. But to your point, I have no idea but you can make your own down n dirty counters using the blanks

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have just received my Lone Canuck Anzio 1944 Pack the covers the exploits of the First Special Service Force, FSSF (aka Devil's Brigade). However, several new counters have been introduced with the pack. Is someone working on a VASL extension to support these new counters?
If your computer is configured like mine Patrick, you just mis-clicked and put this in the scenario design folder, rather than the VASL folder link, which is right beneath it.

Last edited:

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Quick, before they move this... No :)

I don't have this pack so can't help unless Lone Canuck gives permission for you to give me a scan. ZGrose is the counter guru. He may chime in with a better option.

Al

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
I haz no art nor the pack but I can help George out if he passes along the art. I can take the raw source, wifey has all the pro tools.

ireland94

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have obtained permission from George to scan the art work of the counters. I have scanned counters for another purpose. I normally scan them as a BMP with 1200 pixels per inch. What format and resolution do you want?

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
If we must work with scans then toss em up on Dropbox or something. They are gonna end up 72 dpi gifs but I can start with anything.

ireland94

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have built a DropBox folder "Gamesquad - Pat Ireland" and shared it with support@gamesquad.com

I scanned the sheet front and back at 200 DPI as BMP files.

I have permission from George Kelin from Lone Canuck to make copies of the counters for VASL.

If you want I will forward the email from George.

Comparing the existing VASL counters to the Azio counter sheet I see the following counters currently not supported:

American Infantry Counters

1) American Army (not Marines) full squads
A) 668 (smoke exponent 3)
B) 668 (Assault Engineers, smoke exponent 5)
C) 458 (smoke exponent 2)
2) American Army (not Marines) half squads
A) 348 (Assault Engineers, NO smoke exponent)
B) 348 (NO smoke exponent)
C) 248 (NO smoke exponent)
3) American Army (not Marines) gun crews
A) 228 (No smoke exponent)

American Weapons Counters
1) Bangalore Torpedo

German Weapons Counters
1) Bangalore Torpedo

Other Counters
1) Foot Bridge (M10 portage)

All American Infantry counters have FSSF red arrow head (top right) as for quality

All German Infantry counters gave German Herman Goring (top right) for quality

Both American FSSF and German Herman Goring are considered elite

Note that the Assault Engineer designation is specified by a small DC symbol in the top left corner.

Let me know if you need additional scans or anything else I can possibly provide.

Pat

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
I figured sticking the counters in their own bucket would make it easiest. Per offline conversation with Pat I just morphed existing counters rather than drop in scans. Here is the proof of concept for the Americans. I didn't bother with separate HS slots since one can just flip a squad.

Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 4.15.27 PM.png

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Ignoring for a moment the blank German BT, think we can just drop all the unique-to-this-module pieces into one bucket? These 7 pieces should be the whole set if we ignore the symbols for the German unit (which is probably going to look more awful that the arrow head).

Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 3.35.10 PM.png

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
IMHO there's no benefit in unit symbols (Arrowhead or otherwise) in the first place. I prefer just the regular counters. Counters with individual unit symbols are more a liabilty than an asset: No real benefit, adds to the price of the product, needs extra storage space. Or translated to VASL: Extra menus, extra counter smith workload.

von Marwitz

ireland94

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In many ways I agree with von Marwitz that the red arrow head is superfluous, however, VASL 6.4.1 already has American Marines, German, and Russian counters with unit symbols.

There are many examples of third party products that have additional counters.

For example., Bounding Fire Productions' "Blood And Jungle, and Heat Of Battle's "The Fuhrer's Firemen".

Even MMP has counter storage issues, e.g., "Kampfgruppe Piper" has odd colored SS counters and "A Bridge Too Far" has black SS counters.

Your comment seems to be directed at the producers of any non-generic counters, be it MMP, BFP, HOB, etc.

I agree that these counters do cause a storage problem, however, the counter storage argument has long since sailed per my aforementioned examples.

Since the precedence already exists and my father was a member of the FSSF, and eared 3 Purple Hearts, the Bronze Star, and a battlefield commission,
I vote for the unit symbols for the arguably the finest infantry unit of WWII.

Additionally, the FSSF was very unique as it was the only joint country unit of WWII, being an joint unit of Canada and the US.

zgsero, the only iussue I see with the countes is the blank blue counter that I assume will be the German BT.

Single bucket works for me.

ireland94

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ignoring for a moment the blank German BT, think we can just drop all the unique-to-this-module pieces into one bucket? These 7 pieces should be the whole set if we ignore the symbols for the German unit (which is probably going to look more awful that the arrow head).

View attachment 3547
Single bucket works for me.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
When my wife gets home I'll fix the German BT and footbridge (it won't rotate properly in the current orientation) and then I'll send it over for a test.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Your comment seems to be directed at the producers of any non-generic counters, be it MMP, BFP, HOB, etc.
This is correct. Personally, I think this is a development going into the wrong direction. While some precedences might exist, this in itself is not a good reason to expand on it.

No offence intended, but I believe that there will be dozens of units our there that claim or are acclaimed to be "the finest" out there or that they are unique in some way. With all due respect, neither a sound reason for a special unit symbology IMHO.

The only situation where usage of special symbology *might* make sense is large HASLs in which it is required to visually discern different parts of the OoB easily that have otherwise the same base values.

Still, it would not be necessary, as it would be possible to discern them by their ID letters (say capital letters opposed to non-capital letters). But for convenience's sake symbols can make sense.

In other situations, where the unit symbol serves no purpose but is mere fluff I don't see the benefit. More on the contrary: Say, a TPP might conceive some special unit not represented by "official" generic counters - let us imagine a German 4-5-7 squad for the sake of the example - and pairs this with a unit symbol, then in scenarios using this type of unit the OoB's counters do not have a uniform appearance unless you punch the TPP counters for the entire OoB.

Usually, I try to avoid punching any counter that differs from the generic appearance at all. This applies for counters with unit symobolgy and is a point of criticism I have on BFP's PiF for example where I would have much preferred the Poles being represented by the standard allied minor color instead of with a two color background.

von Marwitz

ireland94

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
zgrose,

Issues found
1) American 668 AE should have back side morale is 8 not 7
2) Missing American 348 AE (FYI back side morale is 7)
3) Missing American 348 NOT AE (FYI back side morale is 7)
4) Missing American 248 (FYI half squad back side morale is 7)

Everything else checks out

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Just to clarify, the HSes are accessible by half-squading a squad rather than consuming a slot of their own. I’ll check the broken side ML.