Lone Acquisition tracking a new target

turlusiflu

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
A small acquisition counter loses LOS to its tracked target, remaining in an empty hex. Then, another enemy known unit moves to this hex and, as per C6.51, If the firer does not lose that counter as per 6.5, it will still apply should another Known unit occupy that acquired Location.

Following this, if the Gun fires at that target it would apply the DRM TH for Case N Acquired Target. But, what happens if the gun does not fire at that target, and that target continues to move in LOS of the Gun? Does the Acquisition counter track that moving target, or remains there in the same hex until the gun loses it as per C6.5 or fires to another target?

turlusiflu

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
You have to fire at the moving target in that Location in order to "pick up" the acquition on it if moves on. If it remains there and you fire at it in the DFPh then it is acquired.
Thank you. But if you fire at the target when it moves to the acquired location, you do get this former acquisition "bonus", isn't it so?

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you. But if you fire at the target when it moves to the acquired location, you do get this former acquisition "bonus", isn't it so?
Yes if you fire at the target at any time (MPh, DFPh, PFPh) while it is in the location with the acquisition counter that acquisition will apply. The important thing to remember that you have to fire at the target before it leaves the location.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Yes if you fire at the target at any time (MPh, DFPh, PFPh) while it is in the location with the acquisition counter that acquisition will apply. The important thing to remember that you have to fire at the target before it leaves the location.
Actually I think that if the unit is still there in the DFPh it becomes Acquired even without firing at it. I.e., you can/must track if it routs/advances out later. NRBH, but I believe there are Q&A to this effect.

Jeff Sewall

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually I think that if the unit is still there in the DFPh it becomes Acquired even without firing at it. I.e., you can/must track if it routs/advances out later. NRBH, but I believe there are Q&A to this effect.
Really? Could you please post this Q&A when you get a chance because I think EagleIV's statement is correct. This Q&A supports his statement:
C6.52 Must a unit have been the target of a Gun to be tracked by that gun’s acquisition? A. Yes, or it must have been part of a stack that was acquired.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Really? Could you please post this Q&A when you get a chance because I think EagleIV's statement is correct. This Q&A supports his statement:
C6.52 Must a unit have been the target of a Gun to be tracked by that gun’s acquisition? A. Yes, or it must have been part of a stack that was acquired.
I think it becomes part of said stack in the DFPh.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pretty sure C6.51 support this interpretation with the following: "...the ½" Acquired counter remains in the last Location that target occupied prior to leaving the acquirer's LOS. If the firer does not lose that counter as per 6.5, it will still apply should another Known unit occupy that acquired Location. A ½" Acquired-counter DRM applies only to all Known units (/bridge) in that target Location, even if only one such unit therein was previously acquired."

Jeff Sewall

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agreed, if the unit becomes part of an acquired stack. But this thread, according to the original post, is concerning an acquisition counter in an empty hex. If a unit moves into such a hex, I don't think it can become acquired, and therefore tracked, unless fired upon.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe that once a phase has ended and another begun any acquisition in that location would apply to all those units in that location regardless if they had been previously fired upon or not. Now it has been established that during the MPh/D1FPh if a unit that has not been acquired moves into that location the acquisition would not be able to track that unit should it subsequently move out of that location in the same MPh if not fired upon but I believe it could be fired upon in that location using the acquisition left there.