Logistics Package

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
> I also need to know how can I reduce the amount of ammo the
> units will have at the start of the battle?

You can't.

> The Logistics Report states that all units and vehicles
> have 50% ammo level at start.

Actually it probably states that "All units have at least 50% ammo levels." That line is meant to be a short cut statement at the begining of the ammo report to let you know when there isn't much reason to look closely at the rest of the report.

At the begining of any TacOps scenario all units are at 100% ammo.

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CPangracs said:
TJ mentioned something about a logistics calculator for TacOps, but it seems to be MIA. Any help on this, Major H?!:D
I don't know anything about it. Not something that I remember doing.

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
John Osborne said:
For example, it states that all units have at least 50% ammo levels. But yet it shows that it is at 100% on the report. Am I reading it wrong?
If all units are at 100% ammo then all units can also be said to have at least 50% ammo.

GCoyote

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Push Logistics

Back in the mid 80s [I know, sort of like the last ice age] the US Army established a "push" concept. Ammo was palletized for easy loading in budles sized for standard 5 ton trucks and HEMTTs. You will notice some TacOps truck are the type equiped with MHE [material handling equipment].

If your unit was in contact the next higher HQ would push ammo forward automatically before you even ask for it. Corps and Division established ammo resupply points where the trucks loaded up and didn't stop rolling until they reached the rear of the battalion in contact.

Standard packages were created for each type of unit based on the mix of weapons in the theater at that time, e.g. a Bradley infantry platoon would get a standardized resupply package that included 5.56, 7.62, 25mm, hand grenades, smoke grenades, LAWS, etc., etc. :D Too much ammo is a self-correcting problem. No one worries about getting back to the exact basic load until the shooting has stopped.

Since you have alread done the calculations by platoon, you only have to label each log pack with what platoon it is intended for, set it to 50% of the units point total, and load your trucks. The "honor system" you have discussed below fits this pretty well.

To play, the S4 plots logistic control points within the AO based on the S3's scheme of manuver and submits it to the commander as part of the overall OPLAN. The S4 already knows the task organization of the battalion TF and gives the Support Platoon the breakdown by Company/Team ahead of time. :cheeky:

If you are defending and running low, you may have to resupply by pulling platoons out of contact one at a time. :OHNO: Never expose ammo or fuel vehicles to enemy observation. They have a life span of a few seconds. :cry:

Sounds like an interesting game you have planned.

Enjoy;

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An Excel worksheet is attached to this note that shows the supply points needed for the basic ammo load per unit strength point for each unit type in TacOps v405AT (unreleased update).

Provided as additional background info on recent questions concerning logistics packages.

Last edited:

switch_back

Reaction score
Country
ll
John it might be interesting if after the PBEM test of this battle that we post an AAR here on WFHQ so it can be shown exactly how well this principle works in motion, people might very well be interested to see how this pans out.

If you would prefer it left till the CPX is over that is fine ;)