Lock your rooms!

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
The term 'room' is used in the VASL manual, so it's not worth arguing about anymore.
I know the term "room" is used in VASL. It's a piece of software. Had VASL chosen, they could have used "table" or "car" or "gazebo" and it would have reflected a "room" just as much as any of the others. -- jim

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
as a side note, I have yet to come across an ASL player who is offended or butt-hurt because a VASL game room was locked. I have, however, met several players who are at least annoyed, if not outright perturbed, when someone comes into an unlocked VASL game room and starts monkeying with the pieces or rolling dice in the VASL chat frame, etc.
This is my experience as well. If I were sitting at a table and someone came up and started rolling my dice or messing with the pieces, I would me pretty annoyed, if not outright perturbed. In general, to me it looks like those who get out and play at tournaments tend to not be bothered too much by people surfing to our game in VASL as long as the observe the same etiquette we would expect at a tournament: don't kibbitz, don't roll the dice, and don't mess around with the game. JMO, YMMV. -- jim

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I often pop into rooms that are open to see what people are playing. Hang around for a few minutes then come back later if the game interests me.

I do not ask for permission to enter in advance, I think having to answer such requests all the time is more disturbing to the players than what I do. Have never had a private message saying they did not like my viewing.

If you do not want your game to be visited, just lock the door. It is not rude, it is just your privacy (and possibly the troll thing).

To Tater: if you are in a locked room you have created and there is another guy in there, you can right click on your room status and press "Kick". That automatically removes the player from the room. So you do not have to ask anyone to leave and if they do not respond make a new room.

Anyone who has "build the wall" in their signature line should of course lock their VASL rooms all the time.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
I know the term "room" is used in VASL. It's a piece of software. Has VASL chosen, they could have used "table" or "car" or "gazebo" and it would have reflected a "room" just as much as any of the others. -- jim
Baloney and you know it.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Baloney and you know it.
They could have easily called it a cell, or a chamber, or a table, or any number of other things and been just as syntactically correct as calling it a room. You know this too or are fooling yourself since we are claiming to know what one another thinks and believes now. By the way, breathing is good for you as well. -- jim

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been playing on-line once a week with Patch for... 13 years now. I've had one instance of someone coming in and fiddling with counters in all that time. It was an easy fix.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The onky time I've "fiddled" with counters while watching was due to me using a laptop with a trackpad. I moved the mouse over to look at a stack but caught another one as the pad thought I'd clicked. Very embarrassing. The players were cool about it. Now, I ensure I've got a mouse on if I'm watching

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
You two need to get a (hotel) room together!