Local Tournament Attendance

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This the most interesting topic that I have seen on the ASL forum in a long time. I hope it stays on topic. I experienced this in the Tampa Group when we ran the Florida ASL Tournament from 1993 until 2002. We had a lot of players in Tampa in the mid 90's. But by 2000, many players had moved away from the Tampa Area and the remaining players were losing interest in playing "competitive ASL" and by this I mean ASL in a tournament setting. The Florida tournament was unique at that time because it featured of a lot of new scenarios designed by the members of the group. That is how Schwerpunkt evolved. We were making 10-20 new scenarios a year to feature in our tournament. Our core group eventually became so involved in playtesting for Schwerpunkt, that interest in competing for some silly prize had little appeal. I also grew tired of organizing and running the tournament after eight years of it. The core group of 10-12 players assembled so frequently for casual ASL and playtesting sessions that competitive tournament play simply stopped. In essence the players were getting their ASL fix without having to play in a tournament setting.
Funny you brought this up as I was contemplating posting a similar response. I have talked to several players, especially designers and those that play-test quite a bit, and quite a few have also expressed the lack of interest in competitive gaming for the most part. That is not to say their play isn't competitive but the drive to compete in a tournament setting just isn't as great as it once was. In fact many of those that do show up for tournaments, do so because they want to run into an old ASL buddy(s) more than compete for placings or prizes. This coupled with a strong local ASL scene may also lead to diminishing attendance by locals to a nearby tournament. Like you, I find this thread quite interesting!

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I really enjoy tournaments. The idea that it's just competing for "some silly prize" strikes me as an odd attitude. With the occasional exception, all the games I've played in tournaments have been fun, win or lose. Over the years I've gained a pretty long list of opponents who have become friends and, when I'm matched against them, I'm like, "cool, whatever scenario we play, this is going to be good time." And there's many others whom I've met and haven't had a chance to play against, but would like to. These are the things that make me want to go to tournaments. "Prizes" and "placing" are more like the decor around which the real value of tournaments is organized.

dreenstra

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Coincidentally, we just had the Spreading Blaze tournament here in Atlanta last weekend, and the topic of "where is such and such local player?" came up. It was a mixed bag of reasons, but really mostly I think it's that a lot of these players aren't much interested in playing multiple games of ASL at a "competitive level", or any level I guess since most of the games played at a tournament are by guys knocked out of a main or mini and are just for fun. I don't think any TD can just assume that local players are going to show up just because the tournament is held there.

Instead, I think TDs need to find out what interests players about a tournament and emphasize that aspect of the experience. More and more, it seems like the chance to see old friends is most important. For some, it is the competitive play. For others, it may be the chance to play some guys outside of the local area. Those last two go hand in hand I think, playing different players makes you a better player. And it avoids the excuse of, "why should I pay a tourney entry fee to play guys I see all the time locally?". Ironically, one of the best ways to attract local players might be to attract guys from outside of the area.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
We have noticed some of the same at the Nor'easter. If we consistently got the local draw at near 100%, we would likely see another 10 souls a year. To be sure, the core of our attendance are local guys who really do support us and to be fair, most of the locals who can't make the Nor'Easter aren't exactly running around playing in every tourney known to man. They are just players who do not have the time to attend pretty much any tourneys.
That said, there is always about 10 guys a year who are local but who can't make it. I get it, I wouldn't read too much into it. We are grateful for those who faithfully support the tourney and keep a candle in the window for the ones who can't make it.
My problem was I got sick and got old all at once. :-( Luckily I had about 30 years of tourney activity so can't complain plus the Nor'easter moved 3+ hours drive away from me. Maybe I will make Albany down the road....

I am very lucky to have the 2 club locations in western Mass to attend a couple times a month plus I play Tom Morin on VASL on a regular basis, mainly playtesting for Dispatches. Also Chuck Tewksbury recently bought a home in Gardiner, MA, a little farther than the clubs but doable from time to time, like the Garage Barrage at the end of September taking the place of the Bunker Bash which is taking a break.

If you have not had a chance to take in a tournamnet by all means give it a try, I've met innumerable friends in the hobby at them and had a great time, win or lose, Vic.

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
Evan, if you ever organize ASL events in Tampa I have a few in Orlando that might join you. I recently joined the ASL bandwagon 30 years after leaving classic squad leader. Is Schwerpunkt still active? As far as I can tell NOT.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I hope no-one will be offended if I speak plainly.

It goes without saying that people can do what what the hell they like period.

All I want to point out is that for me, organising the two tournaments thus far has proven to be one of the most stressful and time consuming things I've done. Far more so than anything I've ever done in a professional capacity (seriously). The greatest worry, amongst all others, I personally have had is PEOPLE JUST NOT TURNING UP. A lot of people commit a lot of time and energy for absolutely no financial reward and the idea that people who have made their friends, have had their fun, have done their competitive gaming time, would simply say "meh I can't be arsed anymore, sod the next gen of players, sod the organisers, and sod the hobby" is sort of soul destroying.

Please please please do everything in your power to attend these events. It makes so much difference to the organisers, the players, the sponsors, and the venues. And if everyone decides to down tools then these things will just die.

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Evan, if you ever organize ASL events in Tampa I have a few in Orlando that might join you. I recently joined the ASL bandwagon 30 years after leaving classic squad leader. Is Schwerpunkt still active? As far as I can tell NOT.
The Tampa ASL Group is still very active. We regularly play at Group Headquarters here at Chateau Sherry. We have been publishing Rally Point regularly and plan to release Rally Point Volume #17: Special Study II of the Korean War in time for ASLOK 2019. Schwerpunkt, however, is on indefinite hiatus. Schwerpunkt Volume #24 is in the works, but is no longer on any definite production schedule. My enjoyment of the hobby has increased dramatically since we no longer have production deadlines.

Last edited:

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What holds me back from tournament attendance? work.

pretty simple, it still revolves around work.
For me (fortunately) , work has had the opposite effect. Gotta travel to certain places each year, but they usually let me decide when.

So in the past, Austin, St Louis, Albany, and a few one-offs attended have been as a result of having to work in the area early in the week, then hit the ASL tourney on the weekend before flying home.

For better or worse, the frequency of requiring me to actually visit the sites in person has decreased due to better processes and technology. (Most such trips are required only every two years now, and some not at all). So I still get to at least ASLOk and Winter Offensive most every year.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Tampa ASL Group is still very active. We regularly play at Group Headquarters here at Chateau Sherry. We have been publishing Rally Point regularly and plan to release Rally Point Volume #17: Special Study II of the Korean War in time for ASLOK 2019. Schwerpunkt, however, is on indefinite hiatus. Schwerpunkt Volume #24 is in the works, but is no longer on any definite production schedule. My enjoyment of the hobby has increased dramatically since we no longer have production deadlines.
I hear ya. It's supposed to be fun --- not work.

Likely why I am reluctant to work any more WO Packs -- the schedules are just too tight.

But I am still creatively engaged in scenario design, so don't fret.