LnL: similar to Don's ATS thread.

Ichibrothers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has anyone tried it? Check it out here if you haven't heard of it:

http://www.locknloadgame.com/

There is no escaping the fact that ASL is the standard of games in this scale, so there are obvious ASL influences, but the game reminds me a lot of the original Squad Leader....quick playing and fun. I think Mark has done a good job of achieving a balance between complexity and playability. I particularly
like the combat system...well, actually the impulse system is pretty cool too.
Suffices to say that both players are involved throughout the entire turn and that the game has a distinct ebb and flow to it.

Anyway, check it out if you haven't. Makes a nice alternative to ASL when you are looking for something different but still want to stay tactical.

Bill

BTW: I was a playtester and did all the VASSAL work for the game, so I'm not exactly impartial....lol.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I haven't played LnL, nor seen a printed copy, but the graphics looks top-notch. In that regard, I like the idea of the unique portraits for the individual leaders. From a quick scan of the rules for the demo you can download, a lot looks "familiarish" to me as an ASL player, so it would probably be easy to learn. But time is limited...

Priest

Reaction score
Mark Walker was on The Wargamer forums a while back and compared LnL to ASL with a fraction of the rules, there was a demo for that you could DL and he made a VASSAL mod for it.

dvail13

Recruit
Reaction score
Priest said:
Mark Walker was on The Wargamer forums a while back and compared LnL to ASL with a fraction of the rules, there was a demo for that you could DL and he made a VASSAL mod for it.
I believe Ichibrothers did the VASSAL work for LnL. ;)

-Dan

hydrou

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Yeah, gave it a try. Downloaded the demo and played it with my usual ftf asl opponent. Has some good points and is about a new era in wargaming as it is covering vietnam. Don´t think there are myn other games about this topic out there as well. So, everybody who wants to try something similar to ASL, but situated in the vietnam conflict, just try the demo play with two scenarios and some counters for free. The link to the page was posted aleready, so I won´t post it again.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Ichibrothers said:
Nobody's tried it? If you haven't, you are missing out on some real fun.
I'm sure it is good fun, just my time is limited and I still have so much to explore in ASL first. I imagine it might be the case for a lot of others too.

Johnny Canuck

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Reepicheep said:
I'm sure it is good fun, just my time is limited and I still have so much to explore in ASL first. I imagine it might be the case for a lot of others too.
I'm in the same boat as you.

AnewNewbie

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
I've got LnL but haven't had a chance to play it yet.Beautiful,and I mean really beautiful,components and the rulebook is very easy to read.i'm hoping to get a game in soon.If VLnL will let me of course,don't ya love web start? :rolleyes:

Kurt Stevens

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I broke down and purchased Lock N Load Friday night. It was on sale and shipping was free. I had been checking it out since it was released and the combination of sale price and free shipping broke my willpower. :) It looks very good and it appears a 2nd game in the series is due out soon.

Ichibrothers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As I said, I do the VASSAL stuff for LnL.....I'm currently working on a new mod for the playtesters....but you didn't hear that from me:

(Just playtest graphics)

hydrou

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hey, that looks fantsatic, can´t wait to get my hands onto L´n´L then and play PBEM later.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The PC version is well programmed - the AI will actually teach you how to play the boardgame better (for example, the order in which to use your units every turn, particularly MGs).