Lmg mg42

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You still haven't sent me the tests, wanker.
I didn't know you wanted it. I'm out and about right but I'll send it along when I get home.

You're gonna wanna run it a bunch of times. I briefly started making a movie this morning and had instances where the US squad killed the gunner. When that happens the over run is easy.it looks like it may happen as often as 20-30%. I was in kind of a rush and didn't play with limiting the US ability to return fire.

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I never did not or would not say anything like that one way or the other. When I have run these things I have only run and given results on versions currently available to the public.
What part are you responding to with the above?

Additional, there is nothing about the game engine or its design that prevents it from including a single man with a sling shot and a rock if that is what they wanted to include in the TO&E.
Okay. Irrelevent, but okay.

And what is it with this" Mister Beta Tester" and "Dusty" crap? Do you by trying to marginalize me with each of your posts you are making some point?
I believe they are known as "nicknames". Sometimes they are descriptive.

-dale

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Quote Originally Posted by Elvis
I never did not or would not say anything like that one way or the other. When I have run these things I have only run and given results on versions currently available to the public.
What part are you responding to with the above?
Really? You are supposedly Mister Beta Tester and you claim you have no tools or ability to test a weapon/platform - a pretty key one at that - for its effects, so I point out that, to some, that would be a point of interest about the engine and design, and that's not a clear 1 - 2 - 3 for you? For someone? For anyone?

-dale

Okay. Irrelevent, but okay.
Completely relevant. But whatever.

I believe they are known as "nicknames". Sometimes they are descriptive.

-dale
Yeah. Cute little nicknames. Like "sh1thead" and "dickweed". Trying to marginalize people by calling them names in derogatory manner seems to be your style.

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay, kindergarten time. Sorry if this drives anyone crazy. Just havin' some Sunday fun.

[Gene Rayburn Voice]
Dumb Donald was so dumb - (HOW DUMB WAS HE?) - Dumb Donald was so dumb, he thought dalem or Elvis actually typed "BLANK".
[/Gene Rayburn Voice]

Gary "dalem" Burghof said:
You are supposedly Mister Beta Tester and you claim you have no tools or ability to test a weapon/platform - a pretty key one at that - for its effects...
Brett "Elvis" Somers said:
Charles Nelson "Elvis" Riley said:
I can't figure out any meaningful way to test just the effectiveness of the LMG MG42.
Patty Duke "Elvis" Astin" said:
I can't figure out any meaningful way to test just the effectiveness of the LMG MG42.
Fannie "Elvis" Flagg" said:
Richard "Elvis" Dawson said:
Thank you, Good night!

-dale

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay, kindergarten time. Sorry if this drives anyone crazy. Just havin' some Sunday fun.

[Gene Rayburn Voice]
Dumb Donald was so dumb - (HOW DUMB WAS HE?) - Dumb Donald was so dumb, he thought dalem or Elvis actually typed "BLANK".
[/Gene Rayburn Voice]

Thank you, Good night!

-dale
You do understand you are taking my quote completely out of context don't? When marginalizing is pointed out switch to misrepresention.

Pillar

Reaction score
I've never fired a full power round through a fully automatic weapon or anything, but it looks like the LMG starts to stop them at around 150m. Outside that there is little chance to hit anything, and the suppression system seems to be connected to taking casualties rather than incoming fire. (?)

I'm particularly curious about how the effectiveness of the weapon decreases when soldiers are firing from the kneeling position, like with the case of foxholes or trenches and hedges. If you get a chance to test that let me know.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've never fired a full power round through a fully automatic weapon or anything, but it looks like the LMG starts to stop them at around 150m. Outside that there is little chance to hit anything, and the suppression system seems to be connected to taking casualties rather than incoming fire. (?)

I'm particularly curious about how the effectiveness of the weapon decreases when soldiers are firing from the kneeling position, like with the case of foxholes or trenches and hedges. If you get a chance to test that let me know.
Yeah. They don't seem to fear the gun too much until someone gets hurt.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I could easily put 5 round bursts into man sized targets out to 400 meters. My training sgts. all said the goal is to kill one man per burst if they were spread out like the target range was. Inside of 150 meters would be grazing fire which is another story. Some of my sgts. were combat vets from Vietnam and they said they even caught single file enemy squads within 50 meters and the ambush was full auto and not bursts.

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You do understand you are taking my quote completely out of context don't? When marginalizing is pointed out switch to misrepresention.
I'm taking it as read. You're responsible for the context. But it seems to be moot anyhow as CMN does give you the little 2-man LMG teams, as someone said.

And I know I put the Match Game theme into your head! :)

-dale

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
"Grandpa Dalem...what did you do in the Great-GameSquad war of 2011?"

"I put a gameshow theme-song into a person's head!"

"Uh, gampa can we go play next door with the people that smile?, it smells really bad in your house"

"Well, that's you saying that and I don't care if you ARE two years old, you are responsible for the context and don't touch my Star Trek swords either!!!"

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm taking it as read. You're responsible for the context. But it seems to be moot anyhow as CMN does give you the little 2-man LMG teams, as someone said.

-dale
Correct. That is the context of the quote. I even called myself a Dumas for not realizing I could just get a LMG42 (I haven't been kidding when I say I spend very little time in the editor and QBs). Characterizing it as something other than that is the misrepresentation. What is the next step now that you've covered misrepresentation and marginalizing? My guess is lashing. But that's just the romantic in me.

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Correct. That is the context of the quote. I even called myself a Dumas for not realizing I could just get a LMG42 (I haven't been kidding when I say I spend very little time in the editor and QBs). Characterizing it as something other than that is the misrepresentation. What is the next step now that you've covered misrepresentation and marginalizing? My guess is lashing. But that's just the romantic in me.
The next step would be for you to type

"Golly gee, Dale, I see now how my claim that I couldn't test for a particular weapon's/platform's firepower effects in the game, albeit in error, could have caused you to question the overall strength and depth of the testing regime for the CMx2 engine."

Follow-on point of interest: You say

(I haven't been kidding when I say I spend very little time in the editor and QBs)
so that means your testing universe primarily consists/consisted of pre-made scenarios, or some sort of "conditional" testing tool provided by BFC of which I am ignorant, or perhaps a combination thereof. Could you speak to that point?

-dale

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The next step would be for you to type

"Golly gee, Dale, I see now how my claim that I couldn't test for a particular weapon's/platform's firepower effects in the game, albeit in error, could have caused you to question the overall strength and depth of the testing regime for the CMx2 engine."
I would if both Pillar and I had not already pointed out to you much much earlier in this conversation how easy it would be to drop individual units into the TO&E for that purpose. Or that I also mentioned much earlier that any testing I talk about or conduct on this forum is done with the currently available public version of the game. But since you ignored both of the points.... points that spoke to your concerns on this.... and then began the mischaractorization of my statement with your Match Game stuff etc, can only mean you are trying to intentionally misrepresent me. Otherwise you may have said "Golly gee, Elvis. Now I see how it works. Thanks for clearing that up."

Follow-on point of interest: You say

so that means your testing universe primarily consists/consisted of pre-made scenarios, or some sort of "conditional" testing tool provided by BFC of which I am ignorant, or perhaps a combination thereof. Could you speak to that point?

-dale
I have no intention of violating my NDA by talking about any specifics. But I will say that, based on the above quote, your imagination doesn't go much further than what you see at the end of your nose.

Give it a rest. You are looking like your fishing for a reason to be rude to me and and not finding anything to hang on to. It's Monday. Playing kindergarten to try to make Elvis look bad Sunday is over.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I have also been on the recieving end of M60 machine gun fire impacting on a berm (5 feet thick) that we were hiding behind. I have also had full-powered rounds (tracers) fired over my head. In both cases, most 'wargamers' might be surprised by the experience. The thumping of the rounds transmits right through the berm (and creates a dirt storm) and the bullets flying overhead make a distinct 'cracking' noise.

Pillar

Reaction score
I have also been on the recieving end of M60 machine gun fire impacting on a berm (5 feet thick) that we were hiding behind. I have also had full-powered rounds (tracers) fired over my head. In both cases, most 'wargamers' might be surprised by the experience. The thumping of the rounds transmits right through the berm (and creates a dirt storm) and the bullets flying overhead make a distinct 'cracking' noise.
Sounds consistent with many first hand accounts of battle.

From your experience, would you say the MG rounds would be able to dig through the berm given some time to shoot, or would the berm simply soak them up like a sponge until it got stronger and stronger from the lead content?