Lmg mg42

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
from 2.01 patch release notes
"Special Note: MGs now have more effective aiming, rates of fire, and suppression effects. These highly requested changes make combat even more realistic and more challenging tactically. Some players will find their existing tactics may need some adjustments, others may find no significant need for change. We recommend practicing attacks on MG positions before continuing an in progress Campaign or game against another player."
If you play 'Pleasantly Shaded Woodland' as the Germans against US AI, just move all the forward German troops back except for one sMG42 on the left and a MG42 (2 man) on the right and give them both covered arcs that cover the field. Just keep pressing 'turn' and the computer player will always rush right up the middle of the field. The cross-fire of the two MG's shows what the game has done with modeling them. The charge is stopped cold most of the time. I don't think it would work at all in 1.11.

slm

Reaction score
I have played only some turns using 2.01, but infantry fighting makes much more sense now.
Rushing tactics don't work like they used to.
Even one soldier with a SMG can stop quite a few attackers who approach one by one at short distance.
Meaning: approaching hedgerows is even more difficult.

I have a feeling that planning defenses will become more like it was in CMBB
where MGs were powerful.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I deleted all my old saves and started a couple of campaigns again in 2.01. Im quite impressed by the new infantry firepower model. On defence infantry is much more potent and in attack you really. really have to think about what your doing. No more running up to hedgerows with a full platoon knowing that even if the enemy is there Ill only lose a few men. Attacking requires much more thought and combined arms play than it ever did before. This was an excellent fix in my opinion.