List of SASL scenarios

Graystonw

Reaction score
First name
Gray
Country
llUnited States
They're okay, definitely some "spend time with the rulebook scenarios" with rivers and beaches and paratroopers.

And SASL 15 makes my head hurt. Check out this rule:

Black S? are placed as follows:
<some various placements that actually make sense>
* one in each road hex west of the Road Network bridge or, if the bridge is part of a predominantly east-west road (i.e., a non-Road Network road), on the EBE side or the non-Road Network side.

Huh? (sarcasm on) Fortunately, the errata cleared everything up:
After a couple of years of using SASL, I just rolled up my first Pursuit mission. I have read and re-read this bullet (with the errata) and have absolutely no idea what it means. :hmmm: Can anyone translate this one for me?

Thanks a bunch!

-G

Paullus

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
After a couple of years of using SASL, I just rolled up my first Pursuit mission. I have read and re-read this bullet (with the errata) and have absolutely no idea what it means. :hmmm: Can anyone translate this one for me?

Thanks a bunch!

-G
I think I should be able to help you. I helped out a bit in the development of this mission.
This is what it says:
You place suspect counters on each road hex west of the "Road Network" bridge or
in the case of the "Road Network" bridge also being part of a road network that are not actually the "Road Network" outlined in the initial map set up (13.231) but are considered predominatly a east-west road, suspect counters are placed on the EBE side of the non-road network. (as I understand on the road leading from the bridge towards the EBE but are not part of the actual "Road Network").

I hope this helps a bit

bos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, is it in the road hex west (FBE side) of each Road Network bridge, and in the road hex east (EBE side) of each non-Road Network bridge, as long as said bridge is part of a predominately east-west road?

Paullus

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
So, is it in the road hex west (FBE side) of each Road Network bridge, and in the road hex east (EBE side) of each non-Road Network bridge, as long as said bridge is part of a predominately east-west road?
Yes. If it is the Road Network Bridge - one in each road hex west of the road and if it is not a bridge in the Road network but a bridge in a non-Road Network (predominately east-west) on the EBE side.

Graystonw

Reaction score
First name
Gray
Country
llUnited States
I guess this leaves me with one more question.

Do you put an S? in every hex west of the road network bridge, i.e. every single road hex that is not w/in 3 hexes of the FBE will get an S?, or do you put an S? in the hex immediately adjacent to the road network bridge?

Paullus

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I guess this leaves me with one more question.

Do you put an S? in every hex west of the road network bridge, i.e. every single road hex that is not w/in 3 hexes of the FBE will get an S?, or do you put an S? in the hex immediately adjacent to the road network bridge?
You put a S? in every hex.

bos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You put a S? in every hex.
Wow, that makes this mission really really hard. I've played as one S? for each road network bridge and it was tough enough catching up and killing the retreaters with the dudes hiding in the terrain around the road to slow you up. With one in every road hex leading from the bridge all the way to the FBE, there will be far more "rear guards" than actual retreaters!

Last edited:

Graystonw

Reaction score
First name
Gray
Country
llUnited States
That's a lot of S? to wade through. It seems that the strategy for this one has to be to blast everything you see to compensate for the VP they will get from exit and blowing the bridges.

M.A.

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
hi guys,
I'm experiencing the same difficulties in understanding Mission 15 placing of S.
According to the mission card, black S must be placed in every road hex west of the road network bridge, but not on a network road hex.
That is (IMO) because grey S must be placed in every OTHER road network hex.
If black S are placed on the road network hexes west of the bridge,the grey ones will be placed east of the bridge (OTHER...) allowing the defender to immediately blow the bridge.
Am i missing something? or maybe grey and black must be palced together on the west network hexes?
For sure this rule should be re-written.
BTW...what if there are two ore more network road bridges?
thx.

bos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's my opinion that packing the road full of black S? basically means your company should turn around and go home if you get an AC #3. Even under AC #2, the game is for masochists. If you really want to play that way, then you probably need to read "every other" for the grey S? as "alternating". That is, start with the sixth from the FBE, place an S?, skip a hex, place an S?, etc. I suppose this would have you double up many hexes with S?, but that is okay.

I, however, got a pretty enjoyable and more average-difficulty game by playing as follows:

Place a SINGLE black S? per intact bridge.

If the bridge is on the "Road Network" (the shortest path), then the S? is placed in the in the road hex on the FBE side of the bridge.

Realism: This is a possible unit in aggressive blocking position on the line of retreat.

For intact bridges is not on the "Road Network", but is still on a road which leads mostly from FBE to EBE, then the S? is placed in the adjacent road hex on the EBE side.

Realism: The unit, if present, is a basic bridge guard on the ENEMY side.

Non-intact bridges (due to S13.5) do not get an S?. Assign one if you want for additional challenge, but: Orders to guard a blown bridge? Even ASL is not THAT realistic.

The grey S?'s are placed in alternating (my reading of "every other" :)) road hexes along the Road Network. For a more challenging game, place them in every road hex on the Road Network, except the ones already occupied by black S? (whether due to the bridge guards or 4.1e placing S? in road/woods hexes, etc).

Last edited:

M.A.

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
probably i'll use my house rules too to play this mission.
It's a matter of fact that these setup rules are totally obscure and that a re-writing is necessary.

pryoung

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry to resurrect a really old thread, but I was looking at this mission and tried to set it up.

Has anyone ever actually played this? I can't remotely make heads or tails of the setup instructions, and as pointed out earlier in this thread, the "S?" load sounds horrendous based on the interpretations given in this thread.

It sounds like an interesting mission to try, but I can't find any AARs on this site for this mission. Has anyone tried it?

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
I gave it a try quite a while ago. I don't remember how I resolved the S? placement issue, but I remember being confused. The main thing I remember was thinking there was pretty much no way to take the bridge without getting a lucky 'Flank Attack' RE right at the start of the game.

As long as we're resurrecting this old thread, I should point out the Boardgamer issue with the Pegasus Bridge SASL campaign in it is available as a pdf from Wargame Vault http://www.wargamevault.com/browse.php?keywords=boardgamer%20vol%208