'Likes' have now been replaced by 'Reactions'

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
?‍♂ But that's an emoji, not a "like/reaction" type, or am I missing something?

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
?‍♂ But that's an emoji, not a "like/reaction" type, or am I missing something?
Sorry, misunderstood your intent.

A half dozen or so reactions (currently 5 "grades", -2 to +2, with 2 duplicates) seems to me to be sufficient for some fineness in grading reactions without becoming confusing. YMMV

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
And of course, the suite of reactions is missing the ever popular....<shrug>.

I suppose the text based reaction works well enough.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Reactions can be added by an administrator just like emoji can.

If you want to see new reactions, all you have to do is suggest them to Randy and convince him it's a good idea.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

i need a cup of coffee for this thread....

this one might be especially useful in the Politics Forums:

self portraits?

The morning after Spring Break ends:

and this one is a must for these parts:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Sorry, misunderstood your intent.

A half dozen or so reactions (currently 5 "grades", -2 to +2, with 2 duplicates) seems to me to be sufficient for some fineness in grading reactions without becoming confusing. YMMV
System seems to be working fine. However, I would suggest removing the negative 'scores', even for dislike (thumbs down) and angry reactions, and giving them a positive value as well.

If the rationale for the "Reaction" score is to see who is provoking the most thought and conversation with their posts, I would argue that thumbs down is also a reaction. Valid enough to be included by the admin, so probably valid enough to be counted in the scores, for those to whom such things matter.

Removing "negative" reaction scores and adding to a person's score even for negative reactions would also eliminate any kind of gamesmanship by posters, or even outright harassment (just thumbing down people you don't like regardless of what they say in order to reduce their reaction score - we did see this in one of the older iterations of the forum). I haven't seen any of that here in the current iteration, but it would eliminate the possibility.

How it would work, is if you saw something that displeased you, you would voice your displeasure knowing that the fellow's reaction score would go up. I think this would be more in line with the intended use of the system - to use the reactions to genuinely voice approval, disapproval, anger, amusement etc. with someone's post, while removing the capacity to use them vengefully.

Anyway, just a thought.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I might have used a single negative, can't really remember. I did give out a very few Sads though. If I saw something bad enough to prompt a negative, it would be likely something that duty might require me to be wearing my Mod hat for. It takes me a fair bit to get really worked up about something at my age.

Negative Rep campaigns are likely to get that user banned.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I would retain the option of giving a 'negative' like. Experience has shown that this has always been used rather sparingly over the years on the whole. An in such cases it was often (but of course not always...) justified IMHO.

After the change of the 'Like'-system to the 'Reaction'-system (apart from the political section which I do not really follow), I have noticed only a single user lately who seems to have used a 'Dislike'-reaction beyond the average in the ASL section. This is without judging whether this usage is beyond the acceptable. [Shrug]

von Marwitz