Light Woods not on Hex Center Dot

aslwynn

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Are hexes such as O8 and L5 on map 1 considered to be Light Woods hexes since the hex center dot is not covered by the woods symbology?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Why specifically Light Woods?
Are you playing with rule B35 in effect?
Woods or Light Woods won't change anything to your question.

The fact that the hex center dot is not covered by the terrain doesn't prevent that the hex is of that terrain.
There are buildings in hexes which don't cover the hex center either.

aslwynn

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Robin;

Yes, all woods in PRK are Light Woods, although I think it makes no difference for this question. I think the relevant rule is B.1, which specifies how to deal with hexes with buildings not on the hex center dot, but about other terrain types it just says 'In some cases a hex will contain more than one terrain type with neither dominant over the other, in which case the terrain effects of both types are cumulative.' In these cases I could see that applying, perhaps, to L5 but am quite uncertain about O8. Furthermore, what precisely does the word cumulative mean in that sentence?

The real question here is are O8 and L5 considered to be woods hexes for the rally bonus.

Wynn

sebosebi

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Robin;

Yes, all woods in PRK are Light Woods, although I think it makes no difference for this question. I think the relevant rule is B.1, which specifies how to deal with hexes with buildings not on the hex center dot, but about other terrain types it just says 'In some cases a hex will contain more than one terrain type with neither dominant over the other, in which case the terrain effects of both types are cumulative.' In these cases I could see that applying, perhaps, to L5 but am quite uncertain about O8. Furthermore, what precisely does the word cumulative mean in that sentence?

The real question here is are O8 and L5 considered to be woods hexes for the rally bonus.

Wynn
Hello, in the introduction to the Terrains in the rules (2.0 TERRAINS) you may read that "Usually the dominant terrain type includes the hex center dot, but occasionally non-Open-Ground hexes have a hex center dot in Open Ground; an Open Ground hex center dot never changes a hex containing a different terrain to an Open Ground hex.". So, for this, both O8 and L5 in map 1 are Light Woods hexes.

Furthermore, the only combination of terrains that is different from normal ASL rules is explicitily ruled in 2.24 WOODS where you will read "Barring use of Bypass movement, hexes with mixed Woods and Brush (EX. P7 on board S) are considered Woods hexes and terrain effects and movement costs are not cumulative."

S.

aslwynn

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hello, in the introduction to the Terrains in the rules (2.0 TERRAINS) you may read that "Usually the dominant terrain type includes the hex center dot, but occasionally non-Open-Ground hexes have a hex center dot in Open Ground; an Open Ground hex center dot never changes a hex containing a different terrain to an Open Ground hex.". So, for this, both O8 and L5 in map 1 are Light Woods hexes.

Furthermore, the only combination of terrains that is different from normal ASL rules is explicitily ruled in 2.24 WOODS where you will read "Barring use of Bypass movement, hexes with mixed Woods and Brush (EX. P7 on board S) are considered Woods hexes and terrain effects and movement costs are not cumulative."

S.
OK, thank you!