Lies and more lies..

DWPetros

Country
llUnited States
https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-american-sea-of-deception/

"Deception and misstatement are “as American as Cherry Pie” , though here perhaps I should say “as American as George Washington’s childhood cherry tree fable.
While we’ve never seen anything on Trump’s psychotic scale, the problem of U.S. presidential deception goes way back in American history." - P. Street

This is not just about Trump (though he's a good example). It's a much broader article that should invite comment (at least in most places). How have we been so deceived?

Last edited:

DWPetros

Country
llUnited States
If it comports with one's worldview, most will give it a pass without critical thinking. The lack of critical thinking in this country is appalling.
Most seem to care more about defending ideas that they've swallowed rather than about knowing what is true. More to the point, people don't mind being lied to if those lies allow them to keep up their elaborate defenses. Witness the 'Trump phenomenon'.

Dave68124

Country
llUnited States
Most seem to care more about defending ideas that they've swallowed rather than about knowing what is true. More to the point, people don't mind being lied to if those lies allow them to keep up their elaborate defenses. Witness the 'Trump phenomenon'.
Your statement cuts both ways. You may not be open to the truth because your narrative demands a conspiracy theory as well.

Reminds me of the "CIA killed Kennedy" theorists or 9/11 was an inside job. Any evidence shown to counter those arguments are met with the government produced the evidenced therefore it is tainted. Hence, the conspiracy theory and narrative is able to survive without any critical thinking.

Sparafucil3

Staff member
Country
llUnited States
Witness the 'Trump phenomenon'.
Or the article you just quoted. Trump is a morally reprehensible human being. He hasn't been terrible as an administrator. He has been awful as the face of our country. -- jim

Victor

Country
llUnited States
Or the article you just quoted. Trump is a morally reprehensible human being. He hasn't been terrible as an administrator. He has been awful as the face of our country. -- jim
I'm just curious how you figure he "hasn't been terrible as an administrator?" Are there some hidden gems of his administrative savvy I'm unaware of?

DWPetros

Country
llUnited States
Your statement cuts both ways. You may not be open to the truth because your narrative demands a conspiracy theory as well.

Reminds me of the "CIA killed Kennedy" theorists or 9/11 was an inside job. Any evidence shown to counter those arguments are met with the government produced the evidenced therefore it is tainted. Hence, the conspiracy theory and narrative is able to survive without any critical thinking.
What 'conspiracy theory' in my post are you referring to?

Sparafucil3

Staff member
Country
llUnited States
I'm just curious how you figure he "hasn't been terrible as an administrator?" Are there some hidden gems of his administrative savvy I'm unaware of?
He has a point on foreign trade, even if poorly implemented or explained. He has a point on immigration, even though poorly implemented or explained. He has a point on VISA and travel reforms, even if poorly implemented or explained. There are other examples.

Trump reminds me of the Army. It wanted to make a change in organization resulting in a loss of a lot of positions and material. At the same time, they introduced the stupid beret. Everyone focused on the beret, no one focused on what really mattered. The made the changes and relented on beret. Like any magician, Trump has good misdirection. You have to watch the other hand as much as you do the one he wants you to. -- jim

DWPetros

Country
llUnited States
For those who aren't afraid to look at what has happened here, take some time to look at 'Manufacturing Consent'. Here's the trailer:

Victor

Country
llUnited States
He has a point on foreign trade, even if poorly implemented or explained. He has a point on immigration, even though poorly implemented or explained. He has a point on VISA and travel reforms, even if poorly implemented or explained. There are other examples.

Trump reminds me of the Army. It wanted to make a change in organization resulting in a loss of a lot of positions and material. At the same time, they introduced the stupid beret. Everyone focused on the beret, no one focused on what really mattered. The made the changes and relented on beret. Like any magician, Trump has good misdirection. You have to watch the other hand as much as you do the one he wants you to. -- jim
So he can recognize a problem, but cannot address it effectively. Identifying problems is cheap, most anyone can do that. I was thinking this admin is like bizarro Jerry world. Do the opposite of what would be good to actually address the problem. That is the Trump m.o.

Sparafucil3

Staff member
Country
llUnited States
So he can recognize a problem, but cannot address it effectively. Identifying problems is cheap, most anyone can do that. I was thinking this admin is like bizarro Jerry world. Do the opposite of what would be good to actually address the problem. That is the Trump m.o.
Call it what you want. Just because something is poorly explained doesn't mean it was poorly executed. -- jim

DWPetros

Country
llUnited States
Trump is a symptom, not the cause, of a dysfunctional society. The dysfunction has to do with a population that is continually seeing and believing 'life' (anti-life?) as presented through a distorted and conditioned glass lens. Anyone who cares about 'what is real', or about 'freedom', aught to wonder who's controlling the message, and why. Sadly - few do so.

A primer, from an insider: http://nook.cs.ucdavis.edu/~koehl/Teaching/ECS188/Reprints/Mander_TV_78.pdf - applies to both TV and computers.

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Staff member
Country
llUnited States
Trump is a symptom of a very dysfunctional condition. The dysfunction has to do with a population that is continually seeing and believing life as presented through a distorted and conditioned glass lens. One should wonder who's controlling the message, and why, through this glass lens.
When you start seeing dysfunction on your own side, I'll believe you have been awakened. In the mean time ...
I'll just leave this here too. -- jim

Sand Bar Bill

Silver Supporting Member
Country
llUnited States
Driving up the debt in "good" economic times to an astronomical level (while studiously enacting such legislation without CBO scoring or any attempt at serious policy), purposely sabotaging Obamacare resulting in less and more expensive healthcare,
the purposeful suppression of science when it comes to global warming or exploitation of natural resources (drilling, mining, logging, endangered speices).

He is an example of ignorance in the worst sense of the word.

Sparafucil3

Staff member
Country
llUnited States
Driving up the debt in "good" economic times to an astronomical level (while studiously enacting such legislation without CBO scoring or any attempt at serious policy), purposely sabotaging Obamacare resulting in less and more expensive healthcare,
the purposeful suppression of science when it comes to global warming or exploitation of natural resources (drilling, mining, logging, endangered speices).
I didn't say or remotely imply he was perfect. I am not even sure he is good or bad yet as President's go. Too soon. He is a despicable human being. -- jim

DWPetros

Country
llUnited States
When you start seeing dysfunction on your own side, I'll believe you have been awakened. In the mean time ...

I'll just leave this here too. -- jim
Kindly explain the phrase 'your own side'. What side is my side? Are you thinking this is some sort of partisan thing? Finally, did you even read the original article?

Sparafucil3

Staff member
Country
llUnited States
Kindly explain the phrase 'your own side'. What side is my side? Are you thinking this is some sort of partisan thing? Finally, did you even read the original article?
Don't play coy, you know what it is. You defined it in an earlier post. The post you're quote has nothing to do with original article. Neither does my criticism of your post. You're acting along the very same lines your criticizing others for. I am throwing the flag. -- jim