LFT 14_What Nationality Counter is this?

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Clipping and sorting LFT counters and came across these. I know they are partisans but what is the (ax)?

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Axis Minor? Same stats as the Axis Minor LMG.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bah, my best ASL move ever was CXing a fanatic 2-4-8 HS through ungodly fire in order to eliminate 12 Russian squads for FTR in a RB CG.
yeah, but why CX him? didn't it make more sense to Double Time him? A unit can CX for any number of reasons, only 1 of which gives it extra MF's. :)

benj

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
This is a ZB-30. Thought Romanian weapon, it is used as a generic Axis Minor weapon. We felt that "ax" was clearer than "am" which could mean other things (Allied Minors, American).

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LFT is being precise here. This LMG was used by the Yugoslavian partisans and can also do service with the Red Army (captured sw). Tito's partisans were also supplied with British Bren LMGs and I believe this ax is to differentiate from those.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
The Czech ZB-26 and improved ZB-30 were the most widely used LMG in WW2 in terms of nations. Of European Axis combatants, only the Finns and Italians didn't normally use them, even the Germans used very large numbers (they were the main SS LMG early war). They were the main LMG of the Chinese and Jugoslavs and they both produced their own as did the British, this time in .303" as the Bren (aka ZGB-30/ZGB-33). The Japanese used their own version, but only as a tank MG. Their Type 96 and 99 infantry LMG, though they looked externally similar were internally quite different.

While in reality there would be a problem in mixing ZBs and Brens due to the different ammunition, that is below ASL's level and the counters should be interchangeable. Personally I dislike the B11 given to the ZBs as it was a very, very reliable gun. Indeed a ZB-26/30 due to its use of rimless 7.92mm ammunition was slightly less likely to jamb than the Bren using .303 rimmed ammunition. But that's me being odd and that (B11) was decided a couple of decades ago. BFP produced a normal (B12) version in PiF in Axis Minor as well as a German LMG that covered the ZBs.

Last edited: