LFT#14 - First Impressions

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Today I got a New Year's surprise... lookie in mailbox and lo and behold was the latest LFT #14.
Needless to say, the rest of the day was heavily occupied in looking, admiring and reading all the excellent articles dealing with the Italians in WW2.
First a goodly amount of Italian actions with 31 scenarios (29 Italian) from all theaters that the Italians fought in... including some post 1943 actions for both sides.
Just to break up the Grey action, two scenarios are non-Italian, one dealing with Bulgarian Armor (with article) and the second with the USA's 10th Mountain Division vs, the Germans in Italy.
The magazine is a massive 102 pages with the main theme being the Italian Army both before and after the Italian surrender in September 1943.
My compliments to the authors of this excellent information which should be of great assistance to scenario designers when doing Italian scenarios.
( I was surprised to see my article on Bulgarian Armor published as it was written about 10 years ago.)
While there were some typos and a couple of mis-spellings, they did not distract from the articles for any history buff.
For complainers, remember that most of this issue was written by ASL'ers where English is not their primary language.
Lastly... the counters... two (2) counter sheets of Italian goodness. The quality of the counters and artwork is FANTASTIC!
"Hollow Legions" has a long way to go to match these counters. Sheet #1 is a sheet of Italian MMC and SW in Full Color representing Italian troops pre and post 9/43!
Sheet 2 has the SMC, additional SW, multi-national Aircraft to match the simplified rules for aircraft from several nations including the Italian Air Force.
There is a selection of Russian SW and aircraft for the Italians in Russia and suitable for use in future scenarios.
Included are a few counters for the US, Allied Minors, French, British and Japanese.
Included is a selection (5) of Civilian Female counters used in one of the scenarios (FT227 Damsels in Distress...), a nice touch.

All in all, this is and excellent product with high quality components, produced in full color for counters as well as map pictures on the scenario cards.
MMP will have to do some real work to beat this product from our French friends... LFT.

LFT # 14 should be considered a "Must Buy" for any serious ASL fan.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Mr Swann, appreciate your comments re: LFT14, I suppose if you edit your thread title, that will make it easier to find for other folks.

Happy New Year

Rgds Jack

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Today I got a New Year's surprise... lookie in mailbox and lo and behold was the latest LFT #14.
Needless to say, the rest of the day was heavily occupied in looking, admiring and reading all the excellent articles dealing with the Italians in WW2.
First a goodly amount of Italian actions with 31 scenarios (29 Italian) from all theaters that the Italians fought in... including some post 1943 actions for both sides.
Just to break up the Grey action, two scenarios are non-Italian, one dealing with Bulgarian Armor (with article) and the second with the USA's 10th Mountain Division vs, the Germans in Italy.
The magazine is a massive 102 pages with the main theme being the Italian Army both before and after the Italian surrender in September 1943.
My compliments to the authors of this excellent information which should be of great assistance to scenario designers when doing Italian scenarios.
( I was surprised to see my article on Bulgarian Armor published as it was written about 10 years ago.)
While there were some typos and a couple of mis-spellings, they did not distract from the articles for any history buff.
For complainers, remember that most of this issue was written by ASL'ers where English is not their primary language.
Lastly... the counters... two (2) counter sheets of Italian goodness. The quality of the counters and artwork is FANTASTIC!
"Hollow Legions" has a long way to go to match these counters. Sheet #1 is a sheet of Italian MMC and SW in Full Color representing Italian troops pre and post 9/43!
Sheet 2 has the SMC, additional SW, multi-national Aircraft to match the simplified rules for aircraft from several nations including the Italian Air Force.
There is a selection of Russian SW and aircraft for the Italians in Russia and suitable for use in future scenarios.
Included are a few counters for the US, Allied Minors, French, British and Japanese.
Included is a selection (5) of Civilian Female counters used in one of the scenarios (FT227 Damsels in Distress...), a nice touch.

All in all, this is and excellent product with high quality components, produced in full color for counters as well as map pictures on the scenario cards.
MMP will have to do some real work to beat this product from our French friends... LFT.

LFT # 14 should be considered a "Must Buy" for any serious ASL fan.
32 Scenarios 30 with Italian, and yes the counters I think are better even than BFP ones.
By no means a cheap product but quality & quantity sufficiently high that value becomes extremely high.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
LFT 14 is indeed a gorgeous product.
Some scenarios depict up to four different forces, so you can play them with 3-4 players.
Theaters of operations are varied, with "exotic" troops.
I am looking forward to playing those scenarios.