Lesson 05a - Advanced Overlays Extension

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lesson 05a: Advanced overlays. This lesson is essentially a repeat of placing the overlays on The Eastern Gate scenario, but by using the more visually intuitive VASL overlay extension instead. I show you how to download, configure, and use the overlay extension.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is great!

I’ll add a shout out to the cool HTML overlay. Instructions for use are in the Help file.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’ll paste my comments to the YouTube version here as well...

Thanks for this video. You are correct that this extension may be built in to the core VASL module at some point In the future. The two methods of overlay placement each have their pros and cons. I find the overlay extension much easier to use as a player and much, much easier to maintain as its maintainer. It doesn’t allow you to crop overlays however. It can allow terrain transforms but that functionality is limited at this time. You access available terrain transforms via the right click menu. If users desire a terrain transform that isn’t available, they can contact me on GameSquad (BigAl737) and I can make it for them.

The VASL hex grid isn’t uniform so that is why overlay alignment varies depending on map location and rotation of the overlay.

Finally, there are board specific overlays (BSOs) and scenario specific overlays (SSOs) available for some of the more terrain transform intensive cases. Use of these options are outside the scope of this video and you might have addressed these already.

Thanks for doing these videos. VASL is a great program that allows great people to play this great game.