Les Grognards

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
In an effort to maintain domestic tranquility during these trying times and not irritate Actiondebbie too much I have occupied myself by reading some of the stories/articles the Google pops up on my phone.

One of these articles concerned soldiers who are older than their comrades. Napoleon's Old Guard was mentioned and how these soldiers were given special treatment. Among those perks was the ability to complain even in front of officers. Because of this perk they were known as the grumblers, les grognards in French!

Lmao! I was familiar with this term for years but never it's origins or meaning. Any other gamer terms with unusual origins?

Last edited:

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In an effort to maintain domestic tranquility during these trying times I have been reading some of the stories/articles the Google pops up on my phone.

One of these articles concerned soldiers who are older than their comrades. Napoleon's Old Guard was mentioned and how these soldiers were given special treatment. Among those perks was the ability to complain even in front of officers. Because of this perk they were known as the grumblers, les grognards in French!

Lmao! I was familiar with this term for years but never it's origins or meaning. Any other gamer terms with unusual origins?
Grofaz, the winner of ASLOK, immediately pops to mind.

From Google:
Gröfaz – German soldiers' derogatory acronym for Größter Feldherr aller Zeiten, a title initially publicized by Nazi propaganda to refer to Adolf Hitler during the early war years; literally, the "Greatest Field Commander of all Time". Grundausbildung (abbr. Grundi) – basic training.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Grofaz, the winner of ASLOK, immediately pops to mind.

From Google:
Gröfaz – German soldiers' derogatory acronym for Größter Feldherr aller Zeiten, a title initially publicized by Nazi propaganda to refer to Adolf Hitler during the early war years; literally, the "Greatest Field Commander of all Time". Grundausbildung (abbr. Grundi) – basic training.
Lol! Quite familiar with this one as it was me who introduced it to Fish and he adopted it as a self deprecating honorific. 😊😊😊

I think it was Mark Nixon who started calling the main tournament at ASLOk the Grofaz. We always just called it the Oktoberfest tournament or the weekend tournament after we started the mini tournaments.

We used Grofaz sarcastically such as in " that was so Grofaz " after a series of lucky dice rolls or some sleazy jickass move.

Last edited: