Learning ASL in the San Diego area

Pushofpike

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi. I am looking for any players that can help me learn ASL by friendly battles. In the San Diego and SoCal area. I am also a member of SoCalASL. I am free to travel to LA area, etc.

I also play other WWII tactical games like Lock N Load, Band of Brothers Screaming Eagles, and War Storm Paths to Hell series games. Thank you.

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I live in Oceanside, CA, and am learning ASL as well. Unfortunately, I'm not retired and as such, the time I can allocate to playing ASL is a bit sporadic. I've been playing online via VASSAL when time and circumstance allow, thanks to Patrick Ireland and his Starter Kit mentorship. As I finished off each starter kit, I dove into the full rules to supplement what I learned, and that has worked fairly well so far.

Alan

Pushofpike

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alan, As you may have time I would enjoy playing ASL. I am also learning and am using my friends at SoCal ASL to teach me the game. I have a lot of the module material. Contact me as you may wish. Jimmy Hansen 619.823-3581

MrHonus

Honus
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi. I am looking for any players that can help me learn ASL by friendly battles. In the San Diego and SoCal area. I am also a member of SoCalASL. I am free to travel to LA area, etc.

I also play other WWII tactical games like Lock N Load, Band of Brothers Screaming Eagles, and War Storm Paths to Hell series games. Thank you.
I am in Serra Mesa. Usually available Saturdays for ASL.

Pushofpike

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alan or MrHonus: Please feel free to call me, 619.823-3581. I can play on Saturdays at my home in Kensington, or by you. I have alot of the games so I am ready for face to face.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey, there's a lot of us around this area. I'm in Temecula but consider myself a San Diegan. I'm going to try and start playing with the SoCal ASL guys some more but doing something local would be fun too.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I live in Oceanside, CA, and am learning ASL as well. Unfortunately, I'm not retired and as such, the time I can allocate to playing ASL is a bit sporadic. I've been playing online via VASSAL when time and circumstance allow, thanks to Patrick Ireland and his Starter Kit mentorship. As I finished off each starter kit, I dove into the full rules to supplement what I learned, and that has worked fairly well so far.

Alan

Pushofpike

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since I last posted I have had numerous games of ASL under my belt. I am still learning each and every game. I attend alot of SoCal ASL game days around LA area.

I have more time now and can play FtF pretty much at will in SoCal area. Will travel to game ASL. Looking for engagements. Roll low.

Jimmy 619.823-3581. Pushofpike@cox.net

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Jimmy are you going to game day this Saturday? In Montclair? If so, we should play something, Jon.

@Pushofpike

Pushofpike

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Clubby. Hi. I can not make Montclair this Saturday but I try to get there most first Saturday's. rain check pls ?

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We missed you yesterday @Pushofpike only four showed up plus one new guy that played his FIRST SK scenario ever yesterday. Next Saturday is Bellflower then Matt's place and then Matt's place again on the 29th. I think I might make it to four game days this month.

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi, I see you often in the VASL main room. I can answer questions as we play a small game.

The general trend is to do infantry first as this is the main "travail" in ASL the main issues here are:
residual fire and ROF ( one or the other not both)
how to use leaders ( a really big section here) dependant on conditions.
fire lanes
and most important ROUTING

Let me know how you are with this and have a small scenario ready to roll and we can go from there.

It might also be possible to join a game and you can check out the actual mechanics "on the go"

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi, I see you often in the VASL main room. I can answer questions as we play a small game.

The general trend is to do infantry first as this is the main "travail" in ASL the main issues here are:
residual fire and ROF ( one or the other not both)
how to use leaders ( a really big section here) dependant on conditions.
fire lanes
and most important ROUTING

Let me know how you are with this and have a small scenario ready to roll and we can go from there.

It might also be possible to join a game and you can check out the actual mechanics "on the go"
I don't know who this was directed at but I don't think Jimmy plays VASL.