Leaked email purportedly from CCP CEO Hilmar fuels player fury

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
According to EVE News 24, someone on the inside of CCP leaked a global email from Hilmar defending CCP's current direction and telling employees this is the time to ignore the mass protests and "noise" from the players.

EVE News 24 said:
Currently we are seeing _very predictable feedback_ on what we are doing. Having the perspective of having done this for a decade, I can tell you that this is one of the moments where we look at what our players do and less of what they say. Innovation takes time to set in and the predictable reaction is always to resist change.

Leaked email
The authenticity of the email has not been confirmed, but multiple sources have stated it closely matches Hilmar's style.

The mass protests against CCP continue with portions of the EVE Online universe locked down, including the most important trade hubs. Thousands of players have publicly canceled their EVE Online subscriptions and there's no sign it's about to let up.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This, interestingly, is also focused on the high price of vanity items. There is no mention here of combat advantages for sale.

So, as an alternative explanation of a disgruntled employee having leaked this, it could be part of an effort to make it appear to the press that expensive clothes (a purely optional item) are the issue that all the hoopla is about.

But it is equally likely that Hilmar just "doesn't get it" himself.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's also interesting that he gets so happy about a meager 3640 dollars. I thought these MMOs operate at higher revenues.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
This was also reported by players from the same source:

The mods on the Eve Online forums are deleting any thread which contains links or references to the email and banning anyone who makes such a thread.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's your chance, Don :)

There is potential here on gamesquad to become a high quality source of independent information on these issues.

Right now the issue of MMORPGs pissing off paying customers is very young and people still only have the official forums. The censoring only started and independent forums didn't rise yet. But I don't think the vendor forums will go back to reasonable as long as the chieftains think that players who are not (yet) on the forums are their only future.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
This, interestingly, is also focused on the high price of vanity items. There is no mention here of combat advantages for sale.
Like most things in EVE, it isn't quite that simple. I'll give you an example.

One of the 'vanity items' that CCP plans to introduce is a custom paintjob for your ship. You spend some currency and you get a neat new paint job that will give your ship a unique appearance. Sounds cool, right? The problem is the way CCP has implemented this. Instead of allowing you to buy a paint job and apply it to your ship, they're allowing you to buy a ship that already has a custom paint job. The reason that's important is because thousands of players (myself included) make their living in EVE by researching technology, assembling components from raw materials, and then selling ships on the market. With the exception of a very small number of very specialized items, virtually every single item found in EVE Online is manufactured or researched by other players. Ships, components, blueprints, weapons, rigs, outposts -- it's all manufactured and sold by players. Even the raw minerals and ores that serve as the building blocks of everything else are mined by players and processed into ores for sale in EVE's markets.

So by seeding custom ships for sale via real money sales, these microtransactions will completely destabilize and ultimately destroy important parts of EVE's super competitive, player-driven market. These 'vanity ships' weren't manufactured by other players, nor were they created using ores mined by players. Instead, they simply appeared out of nowhere and were manufactured out of thin air. The addition of large numbers of such vanity items will have a huge effect on the market in the form of inflation or deflation; such items are the equivalent of printing money, or an unregulated ISK faucet. Why would anyone buy battleships manufactured by me when they can buy a battleship with a custom paintjob from the vanity store? This would destroy my ship manufacturing business. This happens all the time when a rival moves into the area and starts undercutting my prices. But I have options for dealing with that in the game. I can reduce my own prices, start buying up my rival's inventory and then re-sell it, cut off his supply of minerals and starve his business, or simply declare war and attempt to drive him away. But if the items just magically appear, then gameplay is dead and there's nothing to do but abandon that part of the market.

Everything in EVE is PvP. Ship vs. ship combat, alliance empire building, piracy, corp theft, espionage, drug smuggling, and market trading are all player vs. player warfare of one sort or another. By directly injecting items that came from the "real world," it causes ripples in the virtual world and upsets a very finely balanced ecosystem. Custom paint jobs and other vanity items should somehow be manufactured by other players, just like everything else on the EVE market. But this, of course, would upset CCP's plans to morph virtual streams of currency into real world streams of currency.

This is just one example. Incarna, the vanity store, and the introduction of yet another type of in-game currency are all combining to create a perfect storm of player rage. EVE already has ISK, Plex, GTC, and now Aurum is being introduced as well as the ability to trade real world money for Aurum and Plex. CCP is risking turning EVE into a convoluted mess that only the gold farmers will really enjoy.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the explanation.

The conspiracy inclined folks can add it to the list of disguising what is happening. What they really want is offer ships for real-world cash. There will be bad press about it because it invalidates player's investments. One way of dealing with it is wrap it inside a disguise. The way they introduce this they can easily make a journalist that doesn't do his own research think that this is about the paint. Since mainstream media never do their own research that cuts the issue out of the more mainstream press. Player who are not-yet players but likely to spend lots of real-world cash in the game (because the existing player base sure won't) are increasingly more likely to consume such media. So you won't scare those suckers off your game.

The very first problem that comes up is that those mommies-credit-card-on-file players will have lots of lots of choice between games. Just keeping bad press exposure low won't make them come over. And they will not bind to the game. The poor souls who made a (time) investment in the past are bound. Those people who freely spend real-world money won't. Their investment can be repeated in another game by flipping the credit card again.

But if the goal is to make the game appear short-term profitable for a sale of the company, yes that might work.