Leaders and Radios

Rob Tyson

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just returned to ASL after a 3+ year hiatus and I've got what seems like a really dumb question.

If a concealed leader uses a radio to maintain contact or any other OBA related activity, is this a concealment loss activity (I assume "no"), and if the leader is concealed, do they get marked with a Prep Fire counter for using that radio during the PFPh.

Thanks for any assistance.

Rob

Bear

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rob,

If you look at the Concealment Loss/Gain Chart and the explanation for C. It says "EXC: using a radio/field phone...."
So he does not lose concealment.

Gaining a Prep Fire -- I cannot find a rules reference but I have never seen this done in all the games I have played or seen played.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
". . .and if not hidden/concealed is marked with a Prep or Final Fire counter, but does not lose any "?" he may have.5"

this is taken from C1.6 (v.2)near the end of 1.6. the '5' is a footnote, if you want to read the reasoning for them not losing their HIP/concealed status.

BoxCars

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I also don't find a rule reference that specificly states to put or not to put a counter on the leader/radio, but I think it would be considered using a support weapon. So I'm not sure what the ruling on this would be.

I have always marked the leader/radio with a Prep Fire/Def Fire counter as this is its "sole action for that phase." It would seem that it would clear up any confusion, but I haven't had a lot of experience.

Post ALANP:

I didn't read down far enough in the rules to find the reference in C1.6. I thought I was doing it correct but didn't see a reference. ALANP finished his post reply before I did.

Last edited:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BoxCars said:
I also don't find a rule reference that specificly states to put or not to put a counter on the leader/radio, but I think it would be considered using a support weapon. So I'm not sure what the ruling on this would be.
C1.6--only mark an observer with a fire counter if it is unconcealed. As quoted above.

BoxCars

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess I only had it half right. Will start doing it correctly from now on. It will make it a little harder to find that concealed leader with a radio.

You never stop learning!

Last edited:

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
seems that C1. has a lot of stuff and it's not necessarily in the order you use it--just spent several e-mails today trying to explain how C1.55 affected my opponent's CharB-1 bis when I rolled two '3's in a row w/a mortar ;) --and your reasoning is correct (he's using a sw) except for that explicit statement in C1.6 about not marking him.

The AP#1 flow-chart helps with the correct OBA procedure but doesn't mention marking un-concealed Observers; does the v.2 OBA flow-chart mention it?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bear said:
Rob,

If you look at the Concealment Loss/Gain Chart and the explanation for C. It says "EXC: using a radio/field phone...."
So he does not lose concealment.

Gaining a Prep Fire -- I cannot find a rules reference but I have never seen this done in all the games I have played or seen played.
The rules actually do mention that 'use of radio' is an action & that prep or def fir markers are to be placed. In fact, the rules on Night in chapter E even go so far as to mention that a prep/def fire marker placed 'for use of radio' is not sufficient to cause a gunflash, and they recommend using the 'generic' gunflash markers supplied in chapter E to differentiate those from 'real' gunflashes.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
E1.89 specifies not placing a gun-flash marker for radio use along with dismantling/assembling and 'Spotting'.

thnaks for the additional info, Cpl. Kindel.