Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
David Dockter posted some statistics about Vassal play for April on the Wargamers Facebook group.

[Snipped]
What I find most surprising is that ASL has 10x the number of plays of the game, Combat Commander: Europe, often offered as a alternative or 'better' choice than ASL.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Combat Commander a close second though.

I wonder how many people played Lock'n'Load Tactical in the same period though - including solo against the AI?

Does Steam ever release play statistics?

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Combat Commander a close second though.

I wonder how many people played Lock'n'Load Tactical in the same period though - including solo against the AI?

Does Steam ever release play statistics?
Close second?!? They are 10% of the ASL play.

They are second I will give you that, but you know what they say about 2nd place -you are just the 1st loser!

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Close second?!? They are 10% of the ASL play.

They are second I will give you that, but you know what they say about 2nd place -you are just the 1st loser!
Well, closer than any of the others. :) No one else even makes double-digits, percentage-wise. 10% is almost respectable compared to the others....

Seriously though, it's interesting that Combat Commander musters 1300, which is respectable (granted, not close to ASL) and is also a tactical game. And anyone else is 10% of Combat Commander (and about 1% of ASL).

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You are right. I am just a little surprised that ASL dominates VASSAL like that. I know that it is a very good game but it is a niche war game. Maybe, it will not die when we do.... or most of us have retired and can no longer hang out at the local watering hole so VASL is the 2nd best solution. :)

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Do these stats include solo play or just server two players?

Since “returning” I have only been playing SASL.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Wasn't vassal created for ASL? Other games came after?
Precisely.
Actually VASSAL was derived from VASL, which initially launched by itself and was not just a module of VASSAL.

Note, too, the disproportion of posts and threads about ASL on this forum...

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Just in case you are interested:

Everyone can look up the VASSAL server connections (Current, Last 24 hours, Last Week, Last Month)

See here:

It is correct that VASSAL was created for VASL or that VASL preceeded VASSAL as has been pointed out.

But you think that VASL rules supreme with regard to server connections?
You are mistaken!

Here is a list of the modules on VASSAL that have had 1000+ server-connections during the last month:
  1. Star Wars X-Wing Miniature Game (18091)
  2. VASL (14110)
  3. Warmachine & Hordes Mk. II (7554)
  4. Warhammer Underworlds (3895)
  5. Pandemic + All 3 Expansions (2699)
  6. VASSAL 40k (2203)
  7. Command & Colors Ancients (1901)
  8. Command & Colors Napoleonics (1768)
  9. Paths of Glory (1439)
  10. Combat Commander Europe (1299)
  11. Imperial Assault - Skirmish (1212)
  12. Star Wars Imperial Assault (1066)
VASL totals only 8.65% of all server-connections to VASSAL (163204).

So VASL - while the beginning of it all - is no longer the 'leader of the pack' nor dominating what's going on on the VASSASL server.

Cheers,
von Marwitz

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
What I find most surprising is that ASL has 10x the number of plays of the game, Combat Commander: Europe, often offered as a alternative or 'better' choice than ASL.
Define "often".

"I play Game X because Game X is better than ASL" is "often" the answer given by people who don't play ASL. Most of the time, what they actually mean is "I prefer Game X because of <insert whatever their reasons are>", i.e., it's "better" for them. And there's nothing wrong with that. There just isn't as many of them is all.

There are, I think, 2 major reasons for the vast gulf between the number of ASL games played and the number of other games (ok, most other games) played: firstly, more people play ASL than most other individual board wargame or game series; secondly, the amount of time required for a single game of <whatever> is usually a lot more than the time required for a single game of ASL. A further point is that with a few exceptions people playing ASL are rarely playing other games, while people who play other games will usually play several other games, thus somewhat "diluting" the totals for any individual game that they might play, even if they play lots of games in total.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just in case you are interested:

Everyone can look up the VASSAL server connections (Current, Last 24 hours, Last Week, Last Month)

See here:

View attachment 13122

It is correct that VASSAL was created for VASL or that VASL preceeded VASSAL as has been pointed out.

But you think that VASL rules supreme with regard to server connections?
You are mistaken!

Here is a list of the modules on VASSAL that have had 1000+ server-connections during the last month:
  1. Star Wars X-Wing Miniature Game (18091)
  2. VASL (14110)
  3. Warmachine & Hordes Mk. II (7554)
  4. Warhammer Underworlds (3895)
  5. Pandemic + All 3 Expansions (2699)
  6. VASSAL 40k (2203)
  7. Command & Colors Ancients (1901)
  8. Command & Colors Napoleonics (1768)
  9. Paths of Glory (1439)
  10. Combat Commander Europe (1299)
  11. Imperial Assault - Skirmish (1212)
  12. Star Wars Imperial Assault (1066)
VASL totals only 8.65% of all server-connections to VASSAL (163204).

So VASL - while the beginning of it all - is no longer the 'leader of the pack' nor dominating what's going on on the VASSASL server.

Cheers,
von Marwitz
Pandemic is just a fad.