Leader of Serbia assassinated in Belgrade

kid kool

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
http://www.iht.com/articles/89640.html

Death of Milosevic's nemesis leaves country without top elected official

BELGRADE Prime Minister Zoran Djindjic, a reformer who had helped overthrow Slobodan Milosevic and send him to face an international war crimes tribunal, was assassinated Wednesday outside his office here.

Djindjic, who had many political enemies, was shot in the back and the stomach next to his armored car. The police said he was felled by two rifle shots fired by a sniper who fled. Djindjic, 50, was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Quoting officials it did not identify, the Serbian news agency Beta reported that three people had been arrested. Some officials suggested that the killing was the work of gangsters angered by Djindjic’s reform efforts.

Djindjic’s death leaves Serbia with neither a prime minister nor an elected president as it struggles to rebuild from a decade of wars that made the country an international pariah.

Western governments had pinned their hopes on Djindjic to steer his country through reforms, and none of the politicians likely to succeed him enjoys the same international support.

The Serbian government, an unwieldy coalition that relies on Milosevic’s old party for a majority in Parliament, immediately declared a state of emergency and appointed the deputy prime minister, Nebojsa Covic, as Djindjic’s temporary replacement.

tigersqn

WWII Forum Staff
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm sure NATO forces in Bosnia & Kosovo have been put on higher alert status.
With all the sh*t that's been going on in the Balkans over the last few years, I would hope that a power vaccuum doesn't develop. Anybody know if the new constitution calls for new elections or is somebody appionted in a case like this ?

Pierre

SkyVon

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One wonders if France and Germany will once again beg for US intervention in that region without UN approval. Will that horses ass, Jimmy Carter complain this time?

On a side note: Pierre, where is that next turn? I've got more Russians waiting to die:p

kid kool

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by SkyVon
One wonders if France and Germany will once again beg for US intervention in that region without UN approval. Will that horses ass, Jimmy Carter complain this time?

On a side note: Pierre, where is that next turn? I've got more Russians waiting to die:p

Honestly, Carter is a damn menace. Why does he feel he has any authority to criticize any president. Carter was perhaps the worst president in the last century.

one look at the electoral map of 1980 says it all

http://www.presidentelect.org/e1980.html

kid kool

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Martin Schenkel

41% of the popular vote ain't too shabby :)
actually that's pretty bad especially for a sitting president. It is very difficult to unseat a sitting president in the United States. The president has to be ultra shitty in order to even barely lose. Carter only won a pathetic 7 states.

Deltapooh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The United States will be watching this situation closely. It's too early for the international community to act. This could be an isolated incident carried out by a small, and politically insignificant faction. Then again, it could signal serious trouble in the Serbian government, which could eventually threaten stability in Europe.

If an immediate response is required, the United States will likely not play a major role. Asking for American support now would prove to be a tremendous embarrassment. I personally feel the EU can address the matter without American assistance. However, the United States should keep a close eye on the matter. Macho BS on the part of a few European governments could turn a bad situation to a major crisis.

Stability in Europe is in America's best interest. We should not allow the current dispute to change our long-standing policies on the region. It's not about a weak Europe needing support. A bad situation in the region threatens everyone. So we should work together.