Leader location in a stack

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
-I agree with usually having leaders on top. I know where your 9-2 is. But when there are four stacks moving through the woods, with two of them applying leader bonus with no leader showing, it's tedious to say, "you sure that stack has a leader?".

-At a tournament I don't touch my opponent's counters.

-I also always put my armor leader on board on his afv, because I forget to apply his drm 10 times more often than my opponent is deciding between multiple targets. Plus it's hard now to read the little unit ID letter.

- Paul

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have to say that I think my initial use of language was a bit strong. Sorry.

But I reject the idea of someones perfectly legal and preferred stacking order being somehow poor etiquette and bush league. Perhaps Steve's idea of poor etiquette and mine are different.

I could list a whole bunch of things that truly are poor etiquette. One of which goes to the above mentioned touching the other players counters. OK, once in a while it is easier to get the picture of a stack by looking rather than asking. But I had one guy insist that my counters were stacked wrong and then proceed to matter of factly rearrange them for me. Not just one stack but all of them. He did not get very far with that concept.

Everyone has a way that they like stacks for a wide variety of legitimate reasons. Those reasons are not always about being deceptive and "hiding" things.

Seth

G.L.O.A.T.

Shut up and Play
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
-I agree with usually having leaders on top. I know where your 9-2 is. But when there are four stacks moving through the woods, with two of them applying leader bonus with no leader showing, it's tedious to say, "you sure that stack has a leader?".

-At a tournament I don't touch my opponent's counters.

-I also always put my armor leader on board on his afv, because I forget to apply his drm 10 times more often than my opponent is deciding between multiple targets. Plus it's hard now to read the little unit ID letter.

- Paul
I prefer to play by what the rules require. Anything else is for my convenience (or, I suppose that of my opponent too). As Paul and Toumo mention, they know where all the important pieces are anyway, and if not they’ll just ask.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is this a new thing? That leaders on the bottom of stacks is bush league? First I’ve ever heard of it.

I could care less where they go and don’t mind if my opponents put them on the bottom. Sometimes mine are on top, sometimes on bottom, especially during the half squad scramble at the start. Once I see them the first time I remember where they are...

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This thread seems over the top. If you want to try and hide your leaders at the bottom of your stacks, knock yourself out. The net result will be that the game slows down as I will have to ask more often what is in the stack. I fail to see how this serves either player...
Steve

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I start them at the bottom of the stack if they can gain concealment - no free peek before temporarily hiding.

Then don't care and almost always move em to the top of the pile to make it simpler.

The only time I tend to hide them is to put broken units on top of them to remember more easily where my broken units are for rally purposes.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will file this under "Stupid Things To Do If You Wanna Piss Off Gor-Gor". Because that's what I want when I play him, is for him to be extra-motivated to grind me into the dust.

Same thing happens to me (but at a much lower level of Dangerous ASL Repurcussions than Steve is capable of, obviously) if somebody tries gamesmanship on me. Go ahead, futz with your Dummy stacks or make a big show out of considering First Firing. You're just wasting my time and making me want to add that extra dollop of Style Points on top of beating you.

Course, Steve can pull that off much better than me. Still.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
This thread seems over the top. If you want to try and hide your leaders at the bottom of your stacks, knock yourself out. The net result will be that the game slows down as I will have to ask more often what is in the stack. I fail to see how this serves either player...
Your initial post said that this was deliberate behavior on the part of other players. A follow-on post said it was not only that but bad etiquette. I will suggest that for many and possibly most of the players who have their leaders in some place in the stack other than on top, they do it for some reason other than hiding their leaders, and that accusing them of "bad etiquette" is unwarrented. Perhaps this could have better been presented as, "hey, I have a great way to improve the flow of play".

JR